MB has network connection issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zelmo, Feb 15, 2007.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    My daughter is away at college, many hours travel from me and the nearest Apple Store, and reports the following problem:

Her CDuo Black MB will not connect to the campus wireless network anymore from her dorm. She says she gets 100% signal strength like always, but it won't let her connect.
    When she goes elsewhere on campus [all the same network] she can connect wirelessly.

Curiously, she also tried an ethernet connection in her dorm room, and that does not work either. wired connections don't work anywhere, actually.

She deleted the network set-up and tried to establish it again, but has had no luck.

If the e/net port went up, could it have somehow damaged the airport card or antenna connection? Sign of impending logic board failure?
    Any idea's are appreciated.
  2. butaro macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2006
    Ok first of all has she called the IT services department for her college? I worked at one while i was in college for 2 years last year and before.
    Does her school have different specific secure networks?
    It is easy to get a 100% signal, but she should check what IP she is getting with that signal, is it a 169.~~ ip or is it somethign else?
    At my school we had 3 different secure wireless networks, one where after connecting the person would have to log in via a webpage to have access to wireless with their student login/pw.
    The other way would be to have the main key to access the network, this was not available to everyone but was much easier than entering your student ID all the time.
    The location she may be trying to access it might be on a different access point with something that is conflicting with her settings.

As for the wired issue, are you completely sure that she cannot connect to ANYTHING? Is her Built-In Ethernet set to manual setting or automatically detect(dhcp). Does her college even support dhcp or does it assign Ip's statically(pretty stupid if they do).

I may have been rambling senselessly but she should contact the schools IT support. They should have one where she can call/go to for support!!
  3. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Update: My daughter brought her MB home this past weekend, and we were able to connect easily to our home wireless noticed the light on her Magsafe was intermittently going dark and back on while charging her battery.
    We took it to the local Apple Store [Timonium, Md.] and the genius agreed that the logic board appears to be going up. They decided to replace it onsite, but were out of stock on the board. They have ordered one, and we will have to take it back to be repaired when the part arrives.
    Best [or worst] of all, I was able to escape the siren song of all the new Apple kit and left without buying anything.
  4. proverbs macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    zelmo...i was having the same problem with the PB i used to own and also with my new MBP. ive been browsin these forums and i found that there are A LOT of others having this problem. just on the first page i found 4 people that have a similiar issue. none of the posts seem to have any explanations either.

let me know what happens with yur daughters mb.

here is a link to my post. dont think anyone responded yet.