MB hinge: A desing flaw.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 66217, Nov 16, 2006.

1. 66217 Guest

Jan 30, 2006
    It looks nice to only have on large hinge in the center. But there is the problem of creaking hinges in almost all the MB I have ever seen.

I am used to open it by holding it by the center. But when I lend it this is a BIG problem. People are just used to open laptops by the right or left side.

Is there any important reason for which Apple placed the hinge in the center?:confused:
  2. whawhat macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2006
    dude, who cares? just enjoy your beautiful new computer and be happy your not using a PC ;)
  3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    I've never opened a laptop's screen from one side or the other, no matter what the hinge type. I have a 17" PB, with the same hinge design, and it never makes a sound. Sorry your's makes noise - not sure there's much remedy.
  4. 66217 thread starter Guest

Jan 30, 2006
    Don't get me wrong. I love this computer. It's better than any other laptop out there.

The difference I see between the MB and the MBP is that the MBP has a larger hinge (in proportion). So if in a MB you try to close the lid, if you make this by holding right/left side, it would make a creaking noise.
  5. nsbio macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2006
    It is a bad thing if a hinge is creaking. This is a defect that must be fixed. I have seen one of creaking Macbooks on display at a retail Apple store, and it was loud as hell. I would be embarrassed to open this thing at a meeting diring someone's talk. Fortunately, not all macbooks are creaking...
  6. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Feb 12, 2006
    I don't see this problem at all... The screen is probably too light.
  7. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2006
    Just open it in the centre. Holding it on the sides puts more stress on the hinge, and anyway, that nice little finger depression is in the middle.
  8. iBorg20181 macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Before the Aluminum PowerBooks debuted, the older Titanium PBs had a 2-hinge design, which was problematic, with the hinges breaking frequently, and costly ALOT to fix! The current design is much stronger and superior.

9. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2006
    St Charles, MO
    I'd like to see you create a better hinge than that. The way the Apple engineers must have given them more room to work with to add more stuff inside the computer. The screen does emit crackling sounds when opened on the sides but it's not meant to be with the depressed grip in the middle.

Oh and if you lend it to people, tell them Apple created that little finger depression for a reason and if they got a problem with that, don't bother lending to them if they're (must be) a pain in the rear..
  10. Stadsport macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2006
    Opening and closing a laptop LCD by the side is a bad idea regardless of the hinge design, as you're putting force on the hinge in a direction it doesn't move. Apple laptops are no exceptions.
  11. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2006
    I hear a very very slight crackle when i open/close it, Perhaps there's just something wrong with yours?

If this very slight crackle is what you're complaining about then... wow, way to nit-pick. Who the hell cares! The macbook is designed better than any other laptop on the market.