Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joker22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Hi All-

Brand new to macs. Received a macbook today, and have managed to set up airport extreme to the home desktop pc and get the wireless working with the mac. So far, so good.

Query: How do I increase the size of the window I am viewing? In safari and i-pages, the window that I am able to work in takes up less than 1/2 the screen. How do I make the window I am working in fill up the entire screen?

Cheers, thank you, and take care.
-br

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
You have to physically drag the lower right-hand corner of the window to expand it to maximum size. It's one of the ways Apple decided to "think different". You can try the green button, but that's more or less a joke, as nearly every application responds differently to your pressing it.

joker22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
heatmiser-
Thank you, sir. That worked! I tried dragging from the side, a la pc-style, but that got me nowhere.

Now, WTF is the "green button?" Cheers -- and thanks again.
-br

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
heatmiser-
Thank you, sir. That worked! I tried dragging from the side, a la pc-style, but that got me nowhere.

Now, WTF is the "green button?" Cheers -- and thanks again.
-br

Unlike Windows, you cannot drag any border/edge of the window to resize. Instead you have to drag the resize widget located on the bottom right corner of the window. It's the square with three lines drawn diagonally across it.

The green button is the "zoom button". When you click on it, it resizes the window to best fit the contents. Another click and it reverts to it's previous size.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
for safari only, create a new bookmark

make this the address:
javascript:function%20rsz(s,i,w,h,m){if(i.screenX%3C0||i.outerWidth%3Ew||i.outerHeight%3Eh){s.moveTo(0,0);s.resizeTo(w,h)};if(m){s.moveTo(m==1?0:screen.availWidth-w,0);};s.resizeTo(w,h);};rsz(self,window,screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight,1);

when you click on the bookmark, it will make safari fill the window, like maximize on a pc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.