MB, MBP, and RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mccldwll, Nov 12, 2006.

1. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Not sure about MB or MBP (probably MB since 1/3 less, applecare cheaper, lower depreciation, really don't need MBP, and probably want a separate monitor anyway) but in either case, how much ram? I'll be leaving my trusty B&W and entering a new world of music and video, existing and upcoming. 2gb apple ram from start not as badly priced now. I know that ram prices are dropping, that bto creates return problems, and that for most applications mismatched ram results in negligible speed decrease (but 30%-40% decrease for some). Also know that may be some advantage to having matched original apple ram (if any problems, let apple take care of it rather than getting stuck between apple and 3rd party) and that as prices of 1gb chips drop, resale value of original 512mb chips will drop fast (like the 256mb now). Bottom line question: If I don't have/see immediate need for 2gb, and going from G3 to C2D probably will be like going from a vw to a porsche anyway, am I better off buying with standard 1gb now (and probably MB)? Would appreciate feedback, especially from those who have gone through similar deliberations.
    TIA

2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

So if you get a MB and get 2x512 and you buy 1GB third party RAM you have 1.5GB and tha will cost you right around $100 (low estimate). This should last you for a while, but if you ever want to go to 2GB then you will have to buy another 1GB stick another $100. So third party RAM will cost you ~$200 for 2GB and you will need to keep the 2x512 incase you need to send your computer into apple for service. Whereas it will cost you $175 for Apple to put in 2x1GB.

If you have the cash now, I would go with the 2X1GB from Apple. This will cost you less in the long run and you will have a super fast computer out of the box. So to make this cheaper in the long run 1GB sticks would need to drop below $75 each to make it cheaper to buy from a third party later. Probably not going to happen anytime soon.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

a few days ago (when i priced RAM options for someone buying a Mac), the Apple RAM upgrades were cheaper than buying from a third party. i say let Apple do it because it's cheaper and it's covered by AppleCare and you won't have to swap RAM every time you take your computer in.