Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vp911

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Can the magsafes be interchanged between the two laptops? I believe the MBP one is at 85wh and the MB at 60 (or something like that) - but can I use the 85 with the MB and the other way around?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You can certainly use an 85W adaptor on a MB: it will simply draw less power. There have also been multiple reports of successfully using a 60W adaptor on a MBP: it simply charges more slowly. I'd not necessarily recommend this though...

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Yes, you can, however, the 65W (MacBook) charger will charge the battery much more slowly, and under some conditions might overheat if you're using the computer and attempting to charge.

In a pinch you could do it, but I wouldn't suggest doing it long term. On the other hand, if you're going 85W to a Macbook, no problem.

I would expect that they have some sort of internal thermal limiter, but that's no guarantee that it wouldn't overheat.

MacDann

Kalison

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Yep, and you can even use the 45w from the MacBook Air on either MB or MBP.

They say however... it can only charge or run the MB/MBP at one time. So if you want to use your notebook it can only power it, not charge it... but if you sleep it and have it plugged in, it will charge albeit slowly.

annnnyway... yes there shouldn't be any problems.

honeycrisp

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Yes, you can, however, the 65W (MacBook) charger will charge the battery much more slowly, and under some conditions might overheat if you're using the computer and attempting to charge.

In a pinch you could do it, but I wouldn't suggest doing it long term. On the other hand, if you're going 85W to a Macbook, no problem.

I would expect that they have some sort of internal thermal limiter, but that's no guarantee that it wouldn't overheat.

MacDann

Interesting. I did not know that!

vp911

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Thanks. I have a spared MBP charger and just bought the MB which just saved me $80 for a second charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.