Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cossie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
I'm looking at getting either an MB or MBP but i'm waiting a few weeks - thankfully the iPod promo doesn't end until October 7th.

I'm very new to Apple's way of doing things, so sorry if i'm asking a stupid question, but i'd prefer if people would set me straight and not flame/ridicule.

What version or "revision" would these iPods be? I've been reading a lot of bad stories about battery life and other problems in the early iPod versions.

Also, are there any major differences between the Nano and the standard iPod apart from the obvious (size of the device and capacity) ?

Thanks in advance

stevehp

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
It's not a house, it's a home.
cossie said:
I'm looking at getting either an MB or MBP but i'm waiting a few weeks - thankfully the iPod promo doesn't end until October 7th.

I'm very new to Apple's way of doing things, so sorry if i'm asking a stupid question, but i'd prefer if people would set me straight and not flame/ridicule.

What version or "revision" would these iPods be? I've been reading a lot of bad stories about battery life and other problems in the early iPod versions.

Also, are there any major differences between the Nano and the standard iPod apart from the obvious (size of the device and capacity) ?

Thanks in advance

Unless something changed today, the promo ends on September 16th and not October 7th...The rumoured revision of the iPod is a full video (widescreen) display with touch sensitive buttons...Unlike the current video, the new iPod is rumored to have a screen that takes up the entire front of the iPod. The battery life issues on iPods has been fixed for the most part since the early generations. The nano and standard iPod differ with respect to what you listed above - size and capacity. The nano uses flash memory (it's not a hard drive) but is subject to scratching...There was a rumor floating around a few weeks ago that the next generation Nano will be made out of a scratch resistant material. Hope that helps.

cossie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah sorry i should've mentioned that it was on the UK site i was looking at them.

A 2gb Nano for £19 is deadly value IMHO :)

cossie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
It's free in the US ... did you factor in the education discount?

The way it works in the UK is you buy it for full price when you are buying your Apple hardware and then get a £100 rebate from Apple - it's part of the education discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.