MB/MBP keyboards?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mccldwll, Jan 1, 2007.

1. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Love the design and screen size of MBP but every time I play at the apple store I come away disliking the keyboard feel. I'm not a touch typist, and key shape actually similar to standard wired kb, but just doesn't feel right to me. It seems that others feel the same and prefer the MB (and I'm sure many prefer the MBP) but wondering about the following:
    Anyone who started out disliking the MBP kb but got used to it and ended up liking?
    Anyone who started out liking (or neutral on) the MBP and ended up bothered by?

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Most people will find it strange when they start using new keyboard, this should disappear very soon.

FJ :)

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I don't really have a problem with the placing of the keys, that's possible to get used to although when I put it down somewhere I always have (or hunt for) something which I can prop up the back of the laptop with. When laid flat it's awkward to type on. There's also the backlighting which is a problem in marginal light, and if you also happen to get a squeaky keyboard that's also a bummer.

4. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

really? i was researching MB prior to my purchase and I got the feeling that most people on this forum liked the MBP keyboard better. I like my MB's keyboard, its soft and got a good feel. I've used the MBP's briefly in the Apple Store and i like it slightly less. This of course could be due to my limited exposure to it

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i've used both and there really is no difference after a few minutes of use. you get used to it very quickly.

6. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

the macbook's keys feel firmer to me than the mbp's. i used a typical laptop and the keys feel thin and slippery, so that someone has to be very careful of what to write if they don't want to mess things up.

7. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

MBP keyboard

The MBP's thin 'enter' key (or is it 'return' ? I keep getting them mixed) takes some getting used to. I wouldn't know about the MB's keyboard, though.