MB/MBP: World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chanabra, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Chanabra macrumors member

Dec 19, 2006
    Hello everyone.. This is my first time actually using the forums besides reading them.

I am at a dilemma.

I have been reading alot about the MB and the MBP and the only big differences to me are the video cards, I can do without 'illuminated keyboards' and all that jazz..

I can get the 13.1" 2.0GHz White MB, or the 15" 2.16GHZ MBP.
    I can get the MB and 2GB RAM, or the MBP Stock.

What will I be using these for? Well, World of Warcraft (The Big Thing), I want to explore Bootcamp and play some newer Windows games.. Intense web-browsing with multiple windows open. Adobe Photoshop.. Basically I like to multitask and having many windows open at once is great, but that's all with RAM.
    I might explore video editing, but nothing big.

From the link about Macbook v Macbook Pro
    The MacBook has a poor graphics card. However, if you will not play 3D games, if you are a light gamer or do not use 3D professional apps, this will not matter to you. In apps like iMovie and iPhoto, a 2 GHz MacBook will perform as well as a 2 GHz MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro uses a Mobility Radeon X1600 which is reasonable for most modern games. The high-end MacBook Pro offers a 10 - 15% boost in games compared to the low-end MacBook Pro because it has more VRAM (256MB instead of 128MB) and has a faster processor (2.33 GHz rather than 2.16 GHz).

I will be playing 3D Games alot..

I've heard alot of stuff like you can upgrade RAM later, not your video card. But do I even need the 128MB Dedicated Video Card (I have a Powerbook G4 12" now, and its OK)

Suggestions ? Money is an issue!
  2. Chanabra thread starter macrumors member

Dec 19, 2006
  3. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    I have a 12" PB and a friend of mine has a blackbook. On our game nights we play mostly old school games (BF1942, Ghost Recon, etc) and his really struggles. I'd say in intensive places where I get 30-40 fps he gets 10-15 fps.

If you really do want to game, the MBP is the only option. Just keep your PB a little while longer while you save up the cash.
  4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    Wow, those games are old school? You make me feel ancient since I still play Diablo II, Star Wars Pod Racer, Warcraft 3, and sometimes starcraft! :)
  5. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    Old school compared to WoW.

I still play Age 2, Jedi Knight and the original UT on a fairly regular basis. My heavy game-playing days were from about 1999-2003 and you can tell. Well except for CS Source and HL2 in 2005. Those 2 were just so good I had to...
  6. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Definately MacBook Pro. The reasons are in bold :)

I highlighed having multiple windows at once since it would be better on a larger screen, even with Expose.
  7. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    MacBook Pro, there is no other option other then the MBP for you.
  8. aspro macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Hobart, Australia
    I'd have to agree with the others, you will definitely want a MBP. But I must add that the latest WoW patch improved performance on my Macbook by a large margin, it is now definitely playable.
  9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    WoW on a macbook is definitely playable, but if you can afford the MBP, get it. WoW will be better, and other 3d games will be much better (because not everyone supports mac users like blizzard).
  10. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2003
    i haven't played w/ the new Macintel books much, but i can tell you that WoW on my older PB (1.67GHz G4) is playable. it's not zippy by any means, but i got my fix in while visiting the fam over Thxgiving. i would imagine that even the Macbook is MUCH faster than my laptop, especially with the v2.0 patch (that fixed all my crashing issues i was having on my MacPro). and i run photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, etc on that laptop.

that said, if you're looking to play any sort of windows games on it, i would definitely lean to the MBP.

if you're near an Apple store, head back to the genius bar & ask them. odds are, at least ONE of them is on WoW & should be able to give you a good idea of how those laptops will stand up to all the ganking goodness...
  11. acoustics940 macrumors member

Dec 14, 2006
    If you want to play games get a pc. For a gaming laptop a pc would do much better than a mac.