MB or iPod Touch + Used PowerBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tumeg101, Sep 15, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2007
    Orange County, California
    Wow... this is probably the first post with this kind of problem...
    I am currently saving for a MacBook, (the mid model one) and I will buy it either right when Leopard is released, or early January. But then the new iPods were released... at first, I told myself I am not going to buy one until after my MB, because I have a 8 month old iPod that is perfectly fine for me as is... but then I saw the unboxing pics of the iPod Touch, and now I want it!!
    I have $1,000 currently... if I buy the iPod Touch I will get that, and a used PowerBook G4(I have looked on eBay, and I will be able to afford it)
    But I have a perfectly fine, perfect condition, with invisible shield 30gb iPod, that is only 8 months old! I can probably sell it for $150 (with a few cases).. so that is about half of the iPod Touch...

The laptop will be used for:
    -Desktop Replacement
    -iLife to the Max

so I geuss the Powerbook would be fine for me...
    But I still just can't decide between a used Powerbook G4 and a New iPod Touch, or a new MacBook (mid model)
    If I get the used powerbook, I will update the ram to 2gb (if it can hold it), and I will buy and upgrade to Leopard in early Jan

Any suggestions\comments would be great!!

EDIT: There is a possible chance, that I will be recieving money enough money to change the problem into a MB + AppleCare, OR MB + iPod Touch problem.
  2. macrumors newbie

Jul 15, 2007
    get the macbook and then save up for the iPod after you get the laptop. If you are gonna get a Computer then get the better one then sacrafice performance for a new iPod
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2007
    Orange County, California

This thread can actually probably be closed...
    because I have a pretty good chance of getting extra money, so I can afford MB + iPod Touch....
  4. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Congrats :)

Yeah, MacBook over PowerBook for sure. I just upgraded from my PowerBook G4 to an 2.0 GHz iMac (MacBooks are similarly spec'd), and it's a night and day difference. I'd definitely sacrifice an iPod for a little bit longer to get this kind of performance gain.