MB or MBP pro which is built better?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bob909bob, Feb 19, 2007.

1. bob909bob macrumors member

Hey I was tring to decide between which laptop, a MB or a MBP and was wondring which one is more durable and which one will last longer. I want the machine that's going to give me the most years of use at the end of the day and price is not a factor.

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

C2D MBP Is Best Choice DO NOT CONSIDER CD MBP - Bad Vents

C2D MBP is the way to go either 15" or 17" top of the line with 2GB of ram running at 2.33GHz.

3. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I believe that the Macbook (non pro) is more physically durable due to the different, tough plastic body.

In terms of how long it will last before software runs it to the ground, and it has to be replaced, of course the more expensive, faster MBP with its dedicated graphics card and better screen will keep it running applications at blazing speeds longer than the Macbook.

As Multimedia said, Core 2 Duo's 64 bit support will ensure that the newest software will continue to run on the machine, while there is a possibility that high end software will not be supported on the 32 bit Core Duo in a few years.

4. bob909bob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback so far guys reall appreciated but I think I should clarify something. When I say which one will last longer I mean literally which one will work the longest not necessary which one will be able to run the latest and greatest software for the longest becuase that answer is pretty obvious and I wouldn't want to waste anyones time asking a question with a obvious answer.

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

well no-one knows how long each machine will last, because they are only a few months old.

From my observations of the CD 1.83GHz MacBooks and MacBook Pros, the MacBooks seem to be built stronger than the pros.

But then again, i have a 1994 LC575 which still runs, and a 2001 667MHz TiBook which is still going strong, but i had a 2002 iMac G4 die on me late last year.

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I've had two 12" powerbooks and a black c2d macbook. I think the pro machines (i've not had a mbp though) are built better but I'd say the macbook is not bad in terms of build quality.

The alu casings do dent though and scratch quite easily.

7. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I have had an iBook G4 for over 3 years and it has been relatively abused. It has survived that abuse very well. The MacBook is built in a similar fashion so I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't be just as robust. However, I also have an early MBP (just coming up to 1 year old) and it is also holding up very well indeed too and I expect to easily get 3 years use out of it. Compared to my previous Windows laptops (Samsung - died after a year and a half, Compaq - died after a year, Toshiba - died after a year and a half) the two Apple laptops I have bought so far (the PowerBook was issued to me by work) have been extremely well made so either should be fine for you with maybe a slight robustness advantage to the MacBook.

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I would have said the MacBook until my BlackBook started eating CDs and DVDs and refusing to spit them out. Hmmm.

9. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Rev A machine right?

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Like the guys above said, you can't really gauge component quality yet, although to me there's no evidence that better, more reliable stuff goes in the Pro. Build quality seems to be similar, and the Macbook is the more everyday-durable-design machine of the two.

The MBP is definitely more 'precious' than the MB though. This may be an advantage in that you end up babying it more.

Like take even me - whenever I bang the MBPs against something, I'll look at it and check it for damage because the aluminium shell is more prone to showing up any such damage, and I just don't carry machines which don't look normal, especially a design-led machine like the MBP. I don't bother doing that with anything else (especially with the Dells which have complete on-site repair / accidental damage cover for the same price as Applecare). So you might end up being more careful with it than you might with the bog-standard plastic Macbook, and it might last longer for that reason.

11. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

definately the macbook. and this is why:

Over the past couple of months my powerbook has been through the wars, first it had coke spilled over it, and then last week, i was carrying it around in a tucano second skin INSIDE another more padded record bag, and after putting the record bag on the floor admittedly a little harder than usual, I later found my powerbook to be incredibly dented, actually crumpled, in one corner. Remember that this was after virtually no impact and through two padded cases.

By contrast. The Macbook in my sig was for some reason placed on top of a shelving unit in my house, around eight and a half feet above the floor. As you may have guessed, someone tried to pick it up but accidently pushed the macbook behind the shelving uit, where it fell the eight and a half feet to the floor. The amazing thing was that it had only minor cosmetic damage and seemed o be working fine.

The other thing that would concern longevity of a laptop would be the quality of its parts, and I doubt that there is much if any difference between both laptops in this field.

From my experience with both aluminium and plastic laptops (powerbook and macbook), I seems that the macbook is far more durable.