MB owners: Any one using an external LCD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dilutett72, Jan 23, 2007.

1. dilutett72 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I bought a Macbook 2 months ago and I'm loving it. However the small screen is starting to strain my eyes and I'm thinking about getting an external LCD. As a graphics designer I need a big screen for Photoshop and Illustrator too. I wanna ask if anyone here is using external LCDs, and if so, what brand/model is it and how do you like it? I've done some research; Apple LCDs are great but they are too expensive. It seems that Dell LCDs have vibrant and accurate colors, but not bright enough. In particular I'm very interested in the Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP, but its brightness rating in the CNET review worries me:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSharp_2007WFP/4505-3174_7-31783769.html?tag=pdtl-list

The screen on my MB is so bright and vivid, I really want to have an external screen that matches it!!! So does anyone have any experience with Dell's LCD, or other great LCDs, that are comparable to the awesome apple screens??

Thanks in advance.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Bright + vivid doesn't equal good if you're after colour accuracy. The Dell displays are only 6 bit and dither to approximate an 8 bit monitor so they don't have the full gamut of colours available. They lowered the bit depth of the monitor to up the brightness, contrast and response time so "teh gamerz" would buy their displays.

The Apple displays are SWOP certified and despite having a slower response time they have a superior panel technology that allows them to accurately display colours.

Try and look for an S-IPS display for better colour work. The Dell displays are great but for design and photography work where you want consistency you'll want a display designed to do so.

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

The Dell 2007WFP is generally a good choice though. Despite people poo-pooing Dell monitors, that model in particular (usually) shares the EXACT same panel as the Apple 20" display. I have a Dell 2007WFP, and it is identical to the display in my 20" iMac. It is an S-IPS panel and is just as color-accurate as the screen in my iMac, which is why I chose it. It you're on a budget but still want a really good monitor, that's probably one of your best bets.

5. dilutett72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replies. I googled "S-IPS" and found the following site that says the Dell 2007WFP is "S-IPS", as with the Apples and numerous others.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

But Chundles' saying that the Dell doesn't display the full gamut worries me. Mrogers, you said the Dell is as color accurate as your iMac, how about brightness?

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

It is the same. It has the same 800:1 contrast ratio and 300cd/m2 brightness as the iMac; that's why I chose it. It's the closest you're going to get to an Apple display without buying a Apple display. I like it a lot better than an Apple because 1) it's a hell of a lot cheaper, and 2) you get multiple inputs and height adjustability, both of which I take advantage of.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

8. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I'm currently using mine with a 22" ACD @ 1600x1024. Works perfect :)

9. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I'm using a SyncMaster 931BW. I don't do photo editing though but 19" widescreen is NICE. I can't image using a 30" ACD...that'd be sick...

10. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I wish I could have an Apple ACD! :mad: Instead, I have an Envision H191W (I Think) 19'' widescreen. I use it for my 360 & MB and it works great. If I were going to spend a bit more $$ (Only paid $160 from CompUSA) I would go for a Dell or an Apple.

Oh, and I *think* the refresh rate is 5ms and the resolution is 1440x900.