MB Power Brick Noises?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by brofkand, Jul 16, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2006
    My MacBook's power brick is making weird noises. When it's plugged in, it gets pretty warm, but so have all of my other power bricks, so I know this is normal. But, it makes really weird hissing and cracking noises, similar to a radio station in a car that's nothing but static. Is this normal? It isn't audible unless I hold it right to my ear. Otherwise, my MacBook is excellent; no mooing, no anomalies. Thanks!
  2. macrumors member

Jun 24, 2006
    I have the same problem, and have found threads from a couple of other people on the forum who've had the same issue - from what I can tell it's not normal.

My MB is pretty much silent when I'm working on it, but when I plug in the power cord I can hear a pretty loud "buzzing" noise, which gets louder when I hold up the power brick - which is also hot to the touch (nothing too weird there though).

FWIW, I called Applecare and they're sending out a new one.

Good luck!
  3. macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    i'd guess that it's not normal - mine is silent.
  4. macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    This most certainly does not seem like a normal thing to have happen brofkand, perhaps it is time to contact Apple for a replacement. :eek: :)
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2006
    the thing that makes noise is the power brick, not the laptop itself. The laptop is virtually silent, but if it's plugged into the A/C adapter, the brick portion of the adapter makes the "white noise" sounds. So, I guess I'll call Apple about a replacement. Do you think it may have affected my battery, or any other part of my laptop too?
  6. macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Mine does that (ibook G4 brick). I just ignore it.