MB Pro hard drive problems? Maybe I’ll stick with my two-Mac...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 10, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Opinion/Interviews
    Link: MB Pro hard drive problems? Maybe I’ll stick with my two-Mac set-up after all
    Description:: As I’ve mentioned before I’m considering trading my 24-inch iMac for a MacBook Pro and a 24-inch Cinema Display. However, now there are reports that MacBook Pros with faster 7200RPM hard drives—are emitting strange clicking and beeping noises, along with slow performance issues.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors regular

Time Machine folks. Hard drives break all the time, and it still shocks me that people do not have a drive that is for backup.

3. macrumors 68030

uberamd

Exactly. If part of your computer will fail, it will be the hard drive. Time machine makes it so easy to backup, there is no reason not to use it.

4. macrumors newbie

5. macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Just got my new MBP, second attempt here. My first time with Leopard so you are telling me all i gotta do is plug in my external and time machine will make the magic happen huh?

6. macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Pitch forking mulch in Nova Scotia, Canada
    it has to be apple formated, but yes. it's quite wonderful

7. macrumors member

It really irritates me when people make assumptions that just because they may have heard that someone has discovered a possible flaw or defect in a specific part in a piece of equipment, they are quick to blame the whole thing as being junk or defective. Apple does not make hard drives, in almost all cases the integrator (Apple) has to trust the manufacturer (Seagate, WD, Etc.) has done their job with quality control, design and testing of their product before it goes into the machine. And then there is the whole thing about being shipped that could result in damage.
    I don't mind reading constructive criticism, the pointing out of obvious design flaws, opinion based on actual hands on experience. But to make this type of comment/observation is just dumb.

8. macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I agree - can't imagine working without a backup. I think Time Machine is a great idea, but I still prefer the "bootable cloning" capabilities of an app like SuperDuper (or Carbon Copy Cloner). If/When my internal hard drive fails, all I need to do is replace it with the HDD clone and I'm up and running again in less than 10 minutes.

9. macrumors 68030

uberamd

There we have it folks. Mac or PC, the hard drives ALL come from the same manufacturers. Apple doesn't get a magical batch of drives sprinkled with super-longevity powder. They are all from the same mother.

10. macrumors member

jrrdnx

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. And the hard drive seems to be a pretty integral part of the computer to me. Does your receipt show that you bought an Apple computer? Or does it show that you bought each individual component separately from their respective manufacturers? If I'm hearing about issues with the hard drive of a current model I'm thinking of purchasing, why would I go ahead and buy it?

Totally agree with you here, but my first instinct if this had happened to me would be to contact Apple support. I didn't buy the hard drive directly from the manufacturer, it came in the computer that I bought from Apple so I'm going to Apple to solve my problem.

11. macrumors 68030

uberamd

And you couldn't call Seagate/Western Digital support anyway, they are OEM parts. Apple will fix them, but until Apple starts making their own hard drives we can't blame them for the faults. I work with computers every day, doing fixing, etc. I know who to pass the blame on for hard drive failures, and its not usually the notebook brand.

12. macrumors member

jrrdnx

Didn't mean to imply that I would blame Apple for the hard drive, only that I'd be contacting them and expecting them to correct the issue.

13. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Yup, but it might make a backup junkie out of you, I have 8TB now, 4 on the computer, and 4 in an external RAID for Backup. :-(