MB Pro Self Assigning IP Addresses. How do I stop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CDangDrive, Oct 9, 2006.

1. CDangDrive macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2006
    Hey All,

I'm still having network problems! My macbook pro is attempting to connect to the internet through a linksys wireless router running WEP/128 hex and a motorola surf board modem. I've been running this set up for nearly three months without any troubles. Two weeks ago, after the apple airport security patch things started to go south.

My Mac will still connect to the internet (hence this post) but if it goes to standby or is disconnected from the network it cannot reconnect. When that occurs network assistant says the airport is self-assigning an IP address and the computer may not be able to connect to the internet. The same thing occurs if I am hardwired in as well. If the computer goes to standby I lose internet connectivity next time I try safari. Both are cured with a restart.

I checked the router settings and nothing has changed in the last two weeks. DHCP is still set to automatic on the router and IvP4 is set to Using DHCP on the network assistant. I have perfomed a restart of the modem and the router numerous times, tried hard wiring the mac directly into the router and I still have the same problems. I tried dropping the WEP, still the same problems.

I run a windows based desktop that is hardwired in and it has no problems with obtaining an IP address. Can anyone help me to figure out what is going on?
  2. simie macrumors 6502a

Aug 26, 2004
    The solution may be to use a static IP Address, then after you have woken up the Mac the DHCP server cannot issue a new address.