MB question- damage when underclocking it constantly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fatties, Sep 1, 2006.

1. fatties macrumors regular

May 21, 2006
    so, in order to prevent rsd(s), the only thing i found consistantly work is to press the on button for 5 seconds until the beep of death which apparently underclocks the processors to 1ghz (is that right?)

i was wondering, since the beep sounds so death like (i imagin the scream everytime i hear it), does doing this hurt my computer in anyway? (like in the long run) or did apple just feel like hurting our feelings with a deathly beep?

thanks guys.

(yes i know another really dumb question)

p.s. if you didn't read my other note in the other thread, i can't part with my mb for up to a month for the next 2 months while i write my dissertation, so it can't be sent off till november. which is why i am asking because i want to underclock it during the bulk of the writing just in case my (now voluntary response of pressing control- s) decide to become an involuntary muscular action again.

pps. the scream as in the picture v.s. the movie, which has just co-incidentally been found. although i personally (please don't start arguments) find the picture absolutely vile (but technically amazing, like monet- boring, but amazing)
  2. Passante macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    on the sofa
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Holding the power button down force reboots your laptop.
  3. LifeCoach macrumors member

May 19, 2006
    doesn't he mean wheb turning it on. If you hold the power button down for a while it gives off a loud beep and then boots up. I thought that had something to do with installing a new firmware update but i'm probably making that up in my head.
  4. fatties thread starter macrumors regular

May 21, 2006
    i mean when you turn it on. holding the button down when you turn it on (and you can do this at anytime) makes the light flash and then you get a beep.
  5. admanimal macrumors 68040

Apr 22, 2005
    Underclocking a CPU will not damage it. If anything, it will be happier.
  6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
  7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Can somebody translate the question into Japanese for me... :confused:

I don't understand Japanese at all, but I can't understand this question either. :eek: