MB RAM Prices Soaring?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yojitani, Sep 15, 2006.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I was just about to order 2 GB's ram for my soon to be made MB from OWC or DMS and found that the prices on 2 GB sets have gone up $50 ~ 70... in less than a week. Just days ago I guided a friend through the RAM buying process, she paid about $200 for the 2 GB set... This seems to be a trend in my life right now as Cr2sh can attest.

Does anyone know if this is like a seasonal thing and prices will go back to normal or if there is some reason for RAM prices rising?

yt

2. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Wow! Thanks, that was really useful. I wish I had known when I started watching prices in July! Damn microsoft!
    Well, the ship date isn't until Oct 2, so maybe by then prices will go my way again.

Incidentally, New Egg has some DDR2 1GB chips for 100 - not name brand, but the comments seem to indicate that they work fine on MB.

yt

3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I noticed this as well. Last week they were around $89 for 1GB and when I got paid Friday (I was going to order)they had gone up to $109...and have continued to go up. Looks like I'll be sticking it out with 512MB on my MacBook for awhile

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

RAM is a commodity, just like coffee or pork bellies.

Right now all those back to school notebooks are hungering for DDR2 RAM.

It's simply supply and demand.

At least gas prices have come down.