Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
For some reason, my MB likes to automatically turn itself back on whenever I fold the screen down. I only fold the screen down when i take it somewhere, so maybe it has something to do with unplugging the power cord? For instance; I'll close the MB, unplug the cord, put the cord in my bag, and when I come back to the MB I'll hear the HD spin up and the apple light will come on. Sometimes it will just turn itself back off but other times it will stay on and the fans will spin up really fast. I'll open it up and the screen won't turn on, so I close it again, re-open it and it will work and the fans will eventually slow down. I'm completely up to date with everything, so why does my MB do this?

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
I'm not aware of any software, but I do disconnect my speakers after closing the lid. But then again, this problem doesn't happen every time either, so maybe the speakers don't have anything to do with it?

cayley

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2007
First time I've heard of a problem like that on any laptop. No longer under warranty?

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
You really shouldn't 'bump' your topic after 4 hours... or at all for that matter.

Have you reset the PRAM? That's likely the issue. Also, repair permissions.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
thanks for the tips. ill try resetting the pram, but I repair permissions quite frequently so I doubt that's the problem.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
My MacBook Pro was doing the same.

Go into Energy Saver in System prefs, and make sure the box which says 'Wake for ethernet access' is un-ticked in the second tab...

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
My MacBook Pro was doing the same.

Go into Energy Saver in System prefs, and make sure the box which says 'Wake for ethernet access' is un-ticked in the second tab...

Thanks! Un-ticked now! So I'm assuming that this worked like a charm for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.