Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jTreu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Im going to be getting a new notebook soon, upgrading from my G4 ibook. My question is whether i should get the new 2.0 MB or get a used 1.8 MBP for a little more. I will doing some basic recording, occasional video editing, and mostly surfing internet. i want to be able to dual boot and run stuff like texas hold em poker programs and play games like the sims or half life counter strike once in a while (i dont need the best performance just usable.) My main concern is the intergrated graphics and vista. Apparently the new MB will not be able to run vista? Im also concerned about getting a MBP that runs too hot or whines. So what do you guys think? Should i just get the new MB (i will most likey upgrade to an 80 or 100 gig HD and 1 GB of ram) or go with a used or refurb 1.8 MBP (i would upgrade to 1 gig ram).

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
1st Choice- wait if you can till Aug. Buy MBP with Meroms(hopefully). Heat and whine issues too might be fixed(again hopefully). But then things might get worse if Merom MBP is delayed.

2nd Choice- Get a MBP now if you really want games and cant wait 3 more months. MB is not really a gaming machine. But if you buy MBP now and see it upgraded this Aug then you might be piss#d bout the decision.

3rd choice- Buy a MB now. But dont really expect it to be great with Games at all. For everything else it`s just as good as MBP. But it too has some issues. A lot of people are reporting Heat and whine issues with it.

So choose the one you think is right for you.

*Oh sh#t. Think I`ve made you even more confused.:D . But it`s your money and you only can decide in the end.

The new MB will run VISTA AFAIK. But definitely it wont run it as good as the MBP with dedicated gpu might.

If I had to make a choice then I`ll go for the first choice as you already have an iBook G4 to hold you till then.

jTreu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2006
vikas soni said:
1st Choice- wait if you can till Aug. Buy MBP with Meroms(hopefully). Heat and whine issues too might be fixed(again hopefully). But then things might get worse if Merom MBP is delayed.

2nd Choice- Get a MBP if you really want games and cant wait 3 more months. MB is not really a gaming machine.

3rd choice- Buy a MB now. But dont really expect it to be great with Games at all. For everything else it`s just as good as MBP. But it too has some issues. A lot of people are reporting Heat and whine issues with it.

So choose the one you think is right for you.

*Oh sh#t. Think I`ve made you even more confused.:D . But it`s your money and you only can decide in the end.

i thought about waiting for memron but who knows when it will be out for sure. I think ill be happy with one of the current offerings performance wise, i jsut need to deicde if its worth going pro.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
If you need it now then go to an apple store and play around, ask a ton of questions and then make your choice. The problem with waiting too much is that in 3 months you might go "f it! i need it now" then a week later the new ones come out! if you buy it now then at least you will have months of enjoyment out of it.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
jTreu said:
i thought about waiting for memron but who knows when it will be out for sure. I think ill be happy with one of the current offerings performance wise, i jsut need to deicde if its worth going pro.

If you really need a new laptop right now, then yes. But if your PB can work for few more months then you may wait. Not only for meroms but also hopefully fixes for heat and whine.

But a refurb MBP might be better value than a new MB now. Go for the MBP if you really want to play some games on it. Else according to intel the GMA in MB is VISTA ready. Meaning MB wont have much trouble in running Vista.

jTreu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2006
also, what is the return policy on refurb? can i return it if there is whine?

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2005
BIGGEST THING - MBP whine issue i hear.

2nd thing. screen size vs. graphics card. vs portibility?

3rd. get yourself a a MB w/ a ds or something for games.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If it makes you feel better, my friend who owns a Dell 600m with integrated graphics and a slower Pentium M processor runs CounterStrike good enough. It's ok. A new MB will have better Intel Integrated graphics (haha, "better" integrated graphics :p ), and a faster proc. Of course, if they're going to cost you around the same amount of money, I'd go with the MBP. The extra resolution is reason enough for me. The nice graphics card is just icing on the cake. :)

Actually, I'd get the MB anyway because I do like smaller laptops, but since size doesn't seem to be an issue for you, I'd get the MBP.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
you don't sound like a power mobile user, so save the money and get the basic macbook

the macbook pro, while a great machine, is pricey

if you said you needed to have a powerful gaming laptop and work many apps at the same time, and you had the money, then sure, go for the macbook pro

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
jefhatfield said:
if you said you needed to have a powerful gaming laptop and work many apps at the same time, and you had the money, then sure, go for the macbook pro
You mean if you need a powerful gaming laptop only. The MB is equal to the MBP in all aspects except for the GPU, expresscard34 and non-important cosmetic issues (case, backlit keyboard, etc.).

The MB can handle many apps at the same time just as well as the MBP. However both machines need at least 1GB of RAM if not more.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
faintember said:
You mean if you need a powerful gaming laptop only. The MB is equal to the MBP in all aspects except for the GPU, expresscard34 and non-important cosmetic issues (case, backlit keyboard, etc.).

The MB can handle many apps at the same time just as well as the MBP. However both machines need at least 1GB of RAM if not more.

in heavier gaming and adobe cs, the gpu is crucial, but i suspect a dedicated gpu would help if some of the apps open were photoshop and illustrator

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
jefhatfield said:
in heavier gaming and adobe cs, the gpu is crucial, but i suspect it would help if some of the apps open were photoshop and illustrator
Cool, but you made it sound like the MB could not handle as many apps as the MBP, which is not true.

Just trying to clarify, not attack.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
faintember said:
Cool, but you made it sound like the MB could not handle as many apps as the MBP, which is not true.

Just trying to clarify, not attack.

i understand :) ... for me and most people i think the macbook is more than enough computer

jTreu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2006
will photoshop cs run ok on a MB? I dont do a professional but i need it for some basic stuff.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
jTreu said:
Im going to be getting a new notebook soon, upgrading from my G4 ibook. My question is whether i should get the new 2.0 MB or get a used 1.8 MBP for a little more. I will doing some basic recording, occasional video editing, and mostly surfing internet. i want to be able to dual boot and run stuff like texas hold em poker programs and play games like the sims or half life counter strike once in a while (i dont need the best performance just usable.) My main concern is the intergrated graphics and vista. Apparently the new MB will not be able to run vista? Im also concerned about getting a MBP that runs too hot or whines. So what do you guys think? Should i just get the new MB (i will most likey upgrade to an 80 or 100 gig HD and 1 GB of ram) or go with a used or refurb 1.8 MBP (i would upgrade to 1 gig ram).
Go for the MB, I own the 1.83 Ghz MBP, and like it, but if I had a choice now, I would go for the MB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.