MB vs MBP for creative suite usage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by weeag, Nov 14, 2006.

1. weeag macrumors regular

Hello all,

I've hunted around for some comparison threads but most seem to center on gaming and not 'work'. I'm a photog and designer and use the entire adobe creative suite extensively. I've got a G5 and am looking at adding a portable to my arsenal. I would use the G5 90% of the time and the portable would be for working on vacations or at photo shoots.

How do the macbook and the macbook pro's compare to mostly light, but sometimes heavy graphic work? How does the graphics card affect the performance and how does the screen size affect workflow? (granted, I've been using a two monitor set-up for three years so I'm going to have to deal with less screen either way...)

If this has been discussed elsewhere please point me in the right direction!

Thank to everyone in the coolest cult ever! :D

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Both are very quick. My friend does tons of photoshop and illustrator work on his MacBook. However, he is running it in Boot Camp. Adobe CS2 will not run to its full potential until they release the universal version for the new Intel processors until next Spring.

I'm getting my MacBook Pro tomorrow. I chose it over the MacBook because of the screen size. I use Photoshop and InDesign for 24x36 in. presentation boards and I've been using my 12" iBook and it is just too small. I'm an amateur photographer and I'm sure the bigger screen will come nice for that as well. I don't think the video card has much performance impact unless you do 3D stuff.

3. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Performance-wise, the Macbook will be great--just be sure to get enough RAM. You might be fine with 1 GB, but I'd get 2. The graphics card of the MB is not going to slow you down.

For me, the problem is workspace size. I guess the 1280x800 of the MB is OK, but I really like more. I guess you are going to have to find a one-monitor layout that will work for you, but that's going to be easier on the MBP than the MB.

Then again, the MB is going to be a lot cheaper than the MBP, and since you'll be using the laptop for certain specific tasks, maybe the screen space won't be so much of a problem...

4. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

Great thoughts...

I know the universals aren't going to be out for a while and I'll take a performance hit with that, I wonder how close the C2D running through rosetta compares with the G5 dual core 2ghz I have now. It may not be that bad.

As for screen size options - I won't be hooking up to an external screen (well, maybe to my Dell 21" if I want to watch a movie) so that's not really a concern. I think the 15" screen (the size of my current compaq laptop) is usable on either the MB or MBP.

5. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

New question:

Dragging this up for a new question... How will they compare when using some basic 3D home design software (like Punch!'s Home Design Studio)

Is the graphics card going to hinder the render? (yes... the rhyme was on purpose)

Thanks for the continued help.