Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narayanagame

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2010
You've really only provided a few vague anecdotal examples which would be as valid as someone saying Apple customer service is poor based on an incident or two.

well said.to be frank i had bad experience with apple.when i called the customer service and told that my display port isnt working on MBP they told me that laptop is an electronic item and electronics do get damaged and they took over 10days to get my laptop repaired.

but i still think apple has good customer service.
BTW I never had a single problem with any of samsung products till now.

the OP should look into backlit keyboard of samsung 9 which is definitely a plus for something of this price.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
There's no point comparing cpu speeds and graphics because the Samsung 11.6" Series 9 is what the next 11.6" MBA will be spec'ed like very soon anyway. In terms of CPU and graphics, there's just nowhere else to go for Apple.

So ignoring the CPU and IGP for now, the MBA will still have the advantage in terms of max RAM capacity, which appears to be 2 GB. Also, that 64 GB storage capacity isn't adequate for me, and I would have liked to see Samsung give you 128 GB as standard. You're not going to beat Apple by selling something with lower specs, and at a higher price.

If the next 11.6" MBA update includes a bump to the low-end model in SSD capacity, and you can get it with 4 GB of RAM, I don't know why anyone would get the Samsung.

What the Samsung has going for it is USB 3, which the MBA may also get very soon. If I had to guess, I'd guess that Apple won't include it, because.....well....they're Apple.

Also, the 11.6" MBA is far uglier, with its misproportioned small screen, massive bezel, and relatively large keyboard. It's an ugly baby. :eek:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
The Samsung seems to have newer internals, i.e. Sandybridge

Only the 13.3" Series 9 has a Sandy Bridge processor. The 11.6" has an Arrandale Core i3 380UM.

I think Samsung should have priced it lower since it's more expensive than the current MBA without having considerably better specs, and the next Sandy Bridge MBA, probably coming in a month or so, will be both faster and cheaper.

Comparison:

- MBA's design is (IMO) better, and Apple computers usually have better built quality and reliability.

- Both are the same weight but the Air has a more tapered design. They're as thick in their thickest point though.

- The Samsung has a faster processor and weaker graphics. If you wait a month though MBA's CPU will be faster.

- The Apple Store and Genius services are a plus, yet the Samsung comes with a standard 3 year warranty.

- The MBA is cheaper. If you take AppleCare the MBA gets more expensive though. Apple also offers student pricing.

- Apple computers have higher resale value.

- OS X + iLife + no antivirus > Windows 7 (on 2GB RAM) + bloatware + having to buy an antivirus.

- The Samsung has WiMAX and USB 3.

- The next MBA will probably have Thunderbolt, Facetime HD, and (hopefully) a backlit keyboard.

Overall, I say go with the MBA.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
In reply to this thread, and another on the new Lenovo...

1. All the comparison's are subjective. If you're looking at pure spec's, I'm sure both the Samsung and Lenovo will have slightly better specs, at the same cost, or a little cheaper. It's the whole Mac vs. PC Costs argument. Also, the eraser pointer vs. trackpad, etc. is also subjective. Some like them, some don't. Doesn't mean it's better or worse...

2. For me it boils down to the user experience, and what makes that experience good at the presentation level. For me it's OSX. That' why to me these threads always seem MOOT to me. I'll gladly pay a little extra for an MBP/MBA so I can use OSX, AND use a piece of hardware that looks good, is functional, and is durable. Realizing this is also subjective, but for me it's also the trackpad. The MBP/MBA trackpad is the best, IMHO. It's glass, and is multi-gesture. I can't use a regular notebook/laptop now, because of the Mac trackpad...

My 2 cents...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.