MBA 11" as your only set up (e.g. no external monitor)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Eggtastic, Nov 12, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Title says it all MBA 11" owners, is this your only set up in terms of a screen.

I have a dell 23" screen and its great, only thing is I have found myself using it less and less. I have a buyer lined up to buy it for $175 (cheap but its off CL and i don't want to bother with ebay)

I have found myself enjoying this machine more and more on the couch, outside, etc. I don't see the point of having an extra screen if I don't use it as much anymore. Plus with the double tap feature on safari, it works wonders.

I don't want to regret selling this dell, but I feel right now this is a great way to make $175 on something I don't use much anymore. I use this basically for internet, music, some photoshop, photo management.

Thoughts, experiences?

2. macrumors 6502

If you're finding that you don't really need to be using your computer on a desk, then sell it. Otherwise, keep it.

3. macrumors 6502a

I'm actually doing the exact opposite and looking to pickup an external monitor. I still find it quite useful for extended working sessions to have a larger monitor. The 11" isn't exactly conducive to good posture!

4. macrumors regular

I have an older Cinema display on my desk, but I hardly ever plug it in anymore. I do better work away from home, and even on my 11" I can easily fit two Word documents side-by-side. Add being able to have multiple full screen Firefox windows just a quick swipe away, it's easy to stay untethered from the desk. :)

5. macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Really it depends what you do. For most tasks it's fine, but I find myself wishing for more space when I'm working on big spreadsheets or photos. I mostly do the spreadsheets on my hated Toughbook, for compatibility, and work on photos on my iPad, because it's easier and just as good for a rank amateur.

6. macrumors regular

Obi Wan Kenobi

Is your MBA a recent purchase? In my initial enthusiasm I didn't see any need for a larger screen. But I have found again and again that I sometimes need to see more than the 11 inch screen will allow.

My 11 inch MBA is perfect for over 90% (possibly 95%) of the time, but there are times when a bigger screen is required.

7. macrumors member

Redbull916

I have a 13" and sometimes hook it up to the 42" 1080 TV i have for my Mac Mini. Maybe I'm just getting old and my eyes are going.

8. macrumors 6502a

I have an 11" and don't use any external monitor. I think the screen is great - I zoom in/out as needed if I can't read something.

9. macrumors regular

If you think you can get by with the 11", you should really consider the iPhone 5/iPod 5 + bt keyboard setup.

Seriously, I'm trying this for the next month, to see if I can get by using it as my main setup :) I can use it for pretty much everything I need it for - spotify, email, photoshop, ebaying, internet banking, reading newspapers, amazoning, googling, gaming, reading.

I did mention this on another thread btw, but that arrogant troll NutSNGun took it off topic.

10. macrumors 601

Sell it. Monitors only keep getting cheaper.

11. thread starter macrumors regular

haha that's quite the risk there but if it fits your needs, then go for it. As for now, I have the 11"mba and a samsung galaxy s3. i think its a perfect combo with extra portability.

down the line? maybe when the ipad offers a bit more, ill get a desktop + ipad combo. for now i think ill be selling my dell screen. thanks!

12. macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

This is hilarious.

13. macrumors regular

have a 2010 11" mba. got a 23" asus a couple years back to hook up to it. it sat on my desk collecting dust. i find myself sitting on the couch or in bed typing up papers, preparing powerpoints. the 11" screen is more than adequate for me and i just love the form factor. gave the 23" monitor to a co-worker.

my wife's getting me an ipad mini and if that becomes by default surfing device i may consider a 13" mba next year...