Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vodouman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
London
So I'm having a family member bring over a MacBook Air for me to the UK.

Question is;

Can I use the charger in the box if I simply fit a UK plug on the interchangeable bit.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
So I'm having a family member bring over a MacBook Air for me to the UK.

Question is;

Can I use the charger in the box if I simply fit a UK plug on the interchangeable bit.

yup - as long as you swap out the freedom-adapter for your nannystate plug you should be all set...

/i kid
//but seriously, 120 is the voltage of freedom:p

philipkroberts

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
yup - as long as you swap out the freedom-adapter for your nannystate plug you should be all set...

/i kid
//but seriously, 120 is the voltage of freedom:p

We enjoy the 3 pins, Earthing cables are great, I mean I wonder how many stupid Americans mow over there lawnmower, oh wait they don't they have sit on lawnmowers :p

knuro

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
We enjoy the 3 pins, Earthing cables are great, I mean I wonder how many stupid Americans mow over there lawnmower, oh wait they don't they have sit on lawnmowers :p

Some of those stupid Americans actually mow over <their> lawnmower... . (Perhaps you should have spent more time in school? Just a suggestion!)

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
I see things are escalating into US VS UK rather quickly.

For that, all I have to say is... We're ALL stupid (otherwise we would build our own laptops and solder our own chips).

We're just good at using what other smart people build :p (Joe Rogan)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
How on earth do you mow over a lawnmower anyway? :confused:

But yeah, it should work without any issues. Plus you'll get the benefit of a real keyboard layout ;)

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
I also prefer the US keyboard layout

Nermal wrote:

"Plus you'll get the benefit of a real keyboard layout."

As a writer, I completely agree with you.

Thankfully, at least in Norway, we have the option of getting the US keyboard layout when ordering from the Apple web store.

There are really substantial reasons to prefer the US layout to the European one: 1) The US layout has a decent left shift key (that occupies two key places horizontally, which makes it very easy to hit. 2) The Enter key is also a long horizontal one, and not a slim "up-sided and mirrored" L (which occupies two rows in the height) at the right outskirts of the keyboard.

BTW: Both keyboard layouts have a great, long, good right shift key, which also is located properly.

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
After writing that post, I unexpectedly had to use a machine today with a US keyboard but with the OS set to a UK keymap (don't ask why!). That was fun when I tried to type # and got £, tried to type " and got @, and eventually found # on the backslash key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.