MBA '12 to TV problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by joewillmott, Sep 2, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I bought my 13" MBA knowing it had no HDMI port but could buy adapters and whatnot on ebay. I got myself a long HDMI cable and tested it with my PS3 - it works fine. I also bought this so it would work with my thunderbolt port:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300731714379?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Anyway I hook it all up to my TV and it doesn't work. When I switch to the correct HDMI channel on my TV it makes my MBA screen turn off for about 1/2 a second, so the connection is there.... but then nothing else happens?

Anyone know what's wrong and what I should do?

2. macrumors regular

3. thread starter macrumors regular

"Airplay mirroring: no devices detected" is greyed out so I can't do anything there. Even though the screen goes blue for a second when I plug it all in, no little screen image appears on my menu bar like tutorials say it should.

It could be the adapter, but then why does the blue screen fade happen? This combined with the chassis making weird sounds when I play music, the quickly depleting battery health and the coloured-wheel-of-death is making me regret my MBA purchase :(

4. macrumors 6502

falterego

Just had this exact same problem at work and it turned out to be the adapter. I've always used the Monoprice adapters, but with you being in the UK the shipping will be way too high and make it cheeper to just buy direct from the Apple store (I know they dont' make their own, but in the USA the stores stock a 3rd party Mini DP to HDMI adapter).

5. macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice guys, I have messaged the seller asking for a replacement. What a ball ache.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Got a replacement adapter - still nothing! Any other ideas anyone? This sucks so hard.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

BUMP - still not fixed this :(

9. macrumors regular

Have you tried a different brand of adapter?

10. macrumors regular