MBA 13 vs rMBP 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jc244, Oct 23, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2012
    So guys, the new rMBP 13 or the MBA 13, which one would you buy? If cost is not a factor.
  2. macrumors 6502

Oct 12, 2012
    If cost isn't a factor, then I'd go with rMBP. It's ridiculous price tag makes a bad value though, but if your financial situation is lucrative then I'm guessing you might as well get it - or the 15inch. Otherwise go for MBA and a iPad if you want to get value for the money.
  3. jc244, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2012
    Reason I ask is I have a 15 inch MBP at home. I put a set of 512gb SSDs in there and use it really as my primary computer at home and don't like to take it on the go. So I wanted to get one for the road and was set on the MBA 13 but am thinking about this rMBP 13. The cost would be about 500 dollars different I guess with similar specs, but I just like a more sturdy computer. At the same time, I already have a MBP 15 and would like some variety.
  4. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2011
    The price difference doesn't justify the hardware difference.

Now if it had a quad-core or discrete GPU... or maybe even came standard with 256GB, then yeah, maybe.

I really wanted the 13in rMBP, but I guess I'll just wait and see what comes next year.

But if cost isn't a factor, idk, I guess I'd go rMBP. Upscaling the res would be very useful.
  5. macrumors 68030

Apr 13, 2010
    Bedfordshire, UK
    The form-factor of the MBA is perfect so a fully loaded MBA would be hard to turn down.
  6. macrumors 6502

Aug 26, 2011
    I really wanted to buy the rMBP but the price tag is bonkers. Quad Core and 256 GB base and I'd get it, but like this? The performance should be on par with the MacBook Air, considering how the Retina sucks away processing time like a boss and all that at a screen estate of low and outdated 1280x800 pixels. Sure you can upscale, but that'd further reduce performance.

For that price I'd just get the 15" rMBP, much better value. But you wouldn't be here discussing whether to take the MBA or 13" rMBP if 15" was an option.
  7. macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2010
    I would go with the rMBP just because I like great high res displays.

But for traveling and such, I will have to get something like this one day...
  8. macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2012
    3 week old air vs new rpro 13 inch

NOt to take over the thread but I have the same question as I JUST bought the 13 in air on October 6th so I could return it.

I am not a detailed spec I have a question.

Basically I have this:
    13.3 in mac air
    2.0 GHz i7 boosts up to 3.2
    8 GB
    256 Flash
    paid $1599 (education discount)

The new rmbpro 13 inch
    is about the same except the
    2.5 Ghz is with i5 but has a boost up to 3.1

the min difference I see is the Ghz stuff :p

$300.00 more
    is it worh it.

Weight was a factor, but now it looks like the 13 rmpro is about 1/2 a pound heavier.

Just your thoughts.
  9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2012

I decided on the MacBook Air 13. In the end actually the cost was a bit of a factor as well as form factor and the fact that I didn't want two computers that essentially look the same, I already have the MBP 15 non retina.

As far as answering your question, the 2.0 GHz on the MacBook Air has a 4MB cache size compared to 3MB cache size for the 2.5 GHz in the rMBP. In the end it's possible that the 2.0 GHz might even perform better so my only option when I was comparing the two were comparing the 2.0 GHz MBA and the 2.9 GHz rMBP which is 4MB cache. That puts the difference at around 500 dollars.
  10. macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2011
    will the 13rMBP boot faster than a loaded air ???
  11. macrumors 65816

May 7, 2009
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    they'd both be at least the same - possibly the rMBP would be a tad faster.

my 15" rMBP starts up to the login screen in around 7 seconds - faster than my Air ever did.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2010
    San Diego
  13. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012

My Air used to be pretty instant when it had a fresh copy of the OS, now if I re-open it within minutes, still pretty instant, but after after that takes 3-5 seconds b4r it let me type in the password. Doesn't bother me, I don't why this is such a big deal with sum of u. After 15 seconds, OK it needs some tweaking. This is wake up, boot is another animal.
  14. allblur, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

macrumors newbie

Mar 14, 2009
    I'd say go for the MBA

The reason why is because not many people need retina. Also to be frank, not a lot of software is optimized for retina. To compare them both side by side, the only upgrade you're getting is the 768gb SSD option, on top of the screen. But price wise, you'll be better off with the MBA, If you're on a budget and need a machine that's good enough to do everything but also have a home machine aka desktop, I would suggest getting a MBA 13" instead. The rMBP 13" is really only for people who need portability compared to the rMBP 15", which I think is a prime solution for photographers and designers on the go.
  15. macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2012
    How about more specifically:

Maxed out 13" MBA
    2.0Ghz i7
    8Gb RAM
    256Gb SSD
    Intel HD4000

Base model 13" rMBP
    2.5Ghz i5
    8Gb RAM
    128Gb SSD
    Intel HD4000

Both priced at $1699 (US)

Which would you guys buy?
  16. macrumors member

Jul 17, 2012
    I don't need retina. I'd go with Air because it's around half a pound easier to carry around. Ultimately I want the portability and at the same time I don't sacrifice much in terms of the power. (I am satisfied with my i5)
  17. macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2008
    256GB SSD is a min for me. :X
  18. macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2010

same dilemma for me but I feel that the 128GB SSD that comes with the rMPB is what is killing it for me, this should have came with 228GB SSD. Then this would have been a no-brainer.
  19. macrumors member

Apr 10, 2012
    If your focus is portability then go with the Air. It beats the rMBP hands down when it comes to portability:

0.11-0.68 inch thickness versus 0.75 inch and 2.38 pounds versus 3.57 pounds.

If your focus is screen quality then go with the rMBP.

If your focus is performance then bear in mind that the Airs have a low-voltage CPU with a slightly lower performance then their full mobile siblings.
    The Air i7 beats most of the rMBP i5s but the rMBP i7 still has the slight performance edge. Nothing earth-shattering though in terms of difference.

For me portability was the decision factor. My Maxed out Air i7 2.0 with 8Gb ram and 512Gb SSD easily handles everything I throw at it.
  20. macrumors member

Aug 5, 2010
    I want to know this too!!! Help guys I'm on the fence here. I have a mid 2009 mbp now w 8g ram and 256 flash drive.
  21. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2012
    If that's the comparison, MBA by a mile.
  22. macrumors 68000

Jan 30, 2005
    Greenville, NC
    I really love my 13" Air. It's very powerful for such a small computer, it's super fast and has a great screen, and it's portable so I literally take it everywhere I go. It's the best computer I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few (more than 10). I previously had a 13" cMBP and I can't think of one reason where I would take it over my Air.
  23. macrumors 601

Oct 1, 2007
  24. macrumors 65816

May 7, 2009
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    retina MacBook Pro without blinking
  25. macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2012
    Are you saying the MBA 2.0 ghz i7 beats out the rMBP 2.5 ghz i5? Any benchmarks that back this up? Just curious.