MBA 2012 128GB Toshitta SSD Failing - Resolution?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gavinstubbs09, Oct 1, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
    I have noticed that many people on here lately are having failed SSDs that were in the 2012 MBAs with 128GB of storage. I have been a victim of this, and I sent my MBA into Apple and had the SSD replaced. However, it was replaced with another Toshitta.

What should we do? One of my buddies had written up a petition to *attempt* making Apple either give us Refurbished machines with a better SSD (Samsung, anyone? :D ) or maybe even a new 2013 MBA. I really have no other way to spread this and I hope this is where I can help him out since most of you are having them fail on you.

Good luck!
  2. macrumors 6502

Oct 29, 2012
    I too had my Toshiba ssd fail and have just replaced it with and OWC ssd. It uses the same sandforce controller but at least it has a 3 year warranty!
  3. macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2011
    That petition will no NOTHING at all. Call Apple directly and talk to them about it.

It seems to me they are doing the right thing in giving you a replacement. You can't necessarily assume that the new Toshiba part will have the same failure as the previous batch.
  4. macrumors 6502

Nov 18, 2011
    Yeah, I have a Toshiba 128gb in my MBA too and yesterday my MBA crashed. It wouldn't restart until I had to manually shut it down two times. It would have a loading bar that takes forever(I waited for 10 minutes before I manually shut it down).

The thing is, I originally bought a 15 MBP from Best Buy on Sept 28 of last year. I then exchanged it for a MBA on Octobe 11. Does this mean that I'm still within my 1 year warranty even after an exchange? Is there anyway for Apple to check if I'm still within my 1 year warranty so I can buy Apple Care?
  5. macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2013
    Enter the serial number here

6. macrumors 6502

Nov 18, 2011