1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

MBA 2012 vs MBA 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Noimus, Jul 30, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey guys so I decided on getting a MBA for school use. I'm definitely getting a 13" since 11" just seems too small. Battery life is a huge issue, but I don't mind carrying my charger along with me since MBA 2013 is expensive. I got a good deal on a refurbished 13" MBA for $849. Should I hop on that deal and buy it right away? My MBA would be for only basic use so I don't need anything high end.
    I'd like to get the MBA 2013 but do you think I should pay the extra $300 for it? I mean the only thing I see is the battery life being useful. Let me know guys!

Also, I might use the MBA 2012 in clamshell mode when I'm home sometimes!

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. macrumors 68040

The 2013 13" Air is $1049 with the student discount, plus you get a $100 iTunes/AppStore gift card right now because of the back-to-school promotion.

So you're looking at about $100 difference if you count the gift card.

For that $100 you get better battery life, a faster SSD, and better graphics (HD 5000 vs HD 4000), as well as dual microphones for better voice recognition. Plus it's a newer model year so you should get better resale down the line.

That said, if you're looking at buying through Apple's certified refurbished store via their website then that's a good way to go too if you get a good deal, since you get the same return period and warranty.