MBA/Business Schools

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Jul 5, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

There has already been several law school threads here, so I figured why not have a little discussion about business schools?

Anyone here went though business school? What do you think?

How was the GMAT? Is it comparable to the LSAT in difficulty? What kind of preparation should you make during your undergraduate studies?

Is business school worth it if you want to start up a business? Which concentration is more worth it to you, management or entrepeurship? Actually, I'm wondering what the real difference between those two are?

How long does it typically take for you to graduate and get your MBA?

The answers would hopefully be helpful to anyone who is wondering about business school. It would help me too, as I'm in the "what am I gonna do?" phase of my life. Steve Jobs is an awesome role model and I dream of being like him in business. But to think, he never even finished college. Damn!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

The two tests are hard to compare. Both tests have both reading comprehension and logical/analytical reasoning, but the LSAT has much more of the latter than the GMAT does. The LSAT also has logical "games"/puzzles, while the GMAT has math (number properties, arithmetic, geometry, and algebra) and two scored essays. The LSAT's one essay is unscored.

The two are close enough that if you really excel at one, you'll probably do at least fairly well on the other. But there are also rather significant differences, namely that the LSAT focuses much more on logic while the GMAT contains both math and essays.

If you have any other questions about either test or the differences between them I'd be happy to answer (knowing these things is my job, atm). :)

4. fuzzwud macrumors regular

i'm in the same place you are. here's my thoughts based on the opinions of others I have sought. You don't need an MBA to start up a business. At the same time, if you do start a business, do you have anyone to give you good advice in how to do that? I come from a family with lots of business owners so I can ask my relatives and parents. What kind of business do you want to start? If it is a small business, it may not be necessary.

MBA schools are getting more costly. Two year full time program can cost you $100,000 more or less depending where you go and if it is a full time, part time program. The breakdown: ($25,000 x 2 years for tuition) + ($18,000 x 2 years for living costs) + (Your annual salary x 2 years) = your cost for business school. And how much capital do you need to start a business? Would it be worth it to use X amount of money as capital for a start up? Finding investors is not easy. How much is your project revenue range high and low? How much risk are you willing to take?

Weigh those things and then you can determine whether MBA school is right for you.

(I might seem to be leaning against MBA programs, but I am not discounting what you can learn there either. I'm confident that the network and education is worthwhile if it is a good program.)

5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have a vision of a film business - deaf films made for the mainstream. It has never been done before, and I feel that it's a potential area that have only been explored sporadically. It will be a small business at first, so that's where I will start.

And your concern is exactly mine as well - I have money saved up, enough to afford business school. But will I get enough benefits from business school to make up for the money I could have put into the business? And another thought: if I do go and get a MBA, will I be able to get a interim job that makes enough to make up for the two years?

6. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

If you are looking for a good business school the best place to do your research would be the Financial Times. I just completed my Executive MBA and it was worth every penny!

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Got a BS in Biz from UNC-Chapel Hill. If the Navy didn't take me I was looking to try and get to Thunderbird and focus on China. Wish the Navy had better taste now.
    School rankings come and go, good ones stay top 25, and cost is always an issue.
    I always think you should pick one with a fabulous BasketBall team. :p

8. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I just finished my MBA at Thunderbird. Excellent school!

9. toaster_oven macrumors regular

the top MBA schools are all about gaining connections (albeit, long range connections) - more so than the actual education. I'm not a B-schooler, but i know several people who have gotten their MBAs in recent years... it all depends on what you want to do with it. if you want to meet future giants of the industry and extremely wealthy people - go ivy-league... if you want to end up in academia... do schools like U of Chicago, Stanford, or other top mid-sized universities... NYU, UCLA, texas in austin, Columbia, USC, etc.. might be closer to what you are looking for- they have the some of the best film departments in the country, and aslo have top B-schools... it might be useful to do some interdisciplinary study, if you already know what type of business you want to get into...

that's about all the advice i can give, though...

good luck!

-to