MBA Chirping??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by FutureBlake, Nov 16, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey folks - anyone else experience this?

My MBA (late 2010) will occasionally emit a loud chirp when I'm streaming video. It usually happens only when I've been streaming for a while and will start off with a rare loud chirp, then get progressively quicker - after an hour of watching TWiT, I'm hearing the chirp every few minutes.

Not sure how I can really describe the sound - it's not a motherboard beep. It's louder and much more distorted than that. But it doesn't last very long - say half a second or so. It's volume is always at the same level - completely independent of the volume control.

Really annoying - everytime it happens I jump like scared cat. It's just so abrupt and loud...

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why it does it: to see you jump! :D It's just your MBA, amusing itself!

Does it happen only when streaming video? The same video, or any? The same video source, or any?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

No joke - I'm just glad it hasn't been witnessed by anyone else at this point. :eek:

It happens anytime I'm streaming any video for a long period of time. I thought it may have something to do with heat, but the fan isn't even kicking into it's highest RPM.

4. macrumors regular

I heard my MBA chirp once and it scared the crap out of me. I still don't know what caused it.:p

5. macrumors 6502a

It's probably that little hamster running the blower.