Mba cleaning

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Horsegoer, Mar 16, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I assume that I should use 2 different cleaners for the screen and "aluminum"/case.

What are the best cleaners? Wanna try to keep nicey nice for as long as possible? And it's always smudging. Thanks

2. macrumors 6502

Higgs1

I actually use a microfiber cloth to clean my macbook pro and just a tiny bit of water helps get the dirt/buildup removed with the microfiber cloth. Its an eye glass cloth but works great on both the screen and the aluminum body. I'm sure there are real products designed for both but for like $1 I'm happy with my results lol

3. macrumors 6502

I swear by iKlear and use it on everything, plastic,aullu and screen without any problems and brings everything back to looking brand new.

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
    Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic.

5. macrumors 65816

I use iKlear for my Mac, both the screen and the body, along with a microfiber cloth. I always spray onto the cloth, not the Mac, when using. I also use compressed air to clean the dust away for the key and hinge area - blowing in from the side. This make my MBP look new, and from the look at it right now, I need to give it the once over today :)

6. macrumors newbie

What the Apple store uses

I picked up my MBA from the Apple Store in the Stanford Shopping Center this week, and when the Genius took it out of the foam wrapper she noticed that it hadn't been cleaned after the repair. I said that I had iKlear solution at home and would take care of it myself. She said "we have something better than that", then went in the back and came back with a tub of wet wipes. She used the same wipes to clean the screen, keyboard, and the aluminum exterior.

I was curious what they were using, so took a good look at the label on the tub: it was made by a company called Lym-Tech, and indicated that the wipes were "Grade 6", and that the solution was 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water. The part number was 6-LS7030. I didn't manage to snap a pic, but with the info fresh in my mind I googled the product, and I'm pretty sure it was this one:

http://www.qsource.com/p-414-lymtec...-x-85-100-wipescanister-12-canisterscase.aspx

(The wipes are about 20 cents each in quantity)

Attached Files:

7. macrumors 68000

The Samurai

You can either buy iKlear from the Apple stores (online and retail) or Muc Off. Both have done me extremely well.

8. macrumors member

[​IMG]

9. macrumors member

I use water. Water works extremely well for me. It's great.

But then again, I may not be as greasy or sticky as some other folks out there.

10. macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Try some of this OP.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot!!!

12. macrumors 6502

3dflyboy1

Only if it's 10M. That diluted stuff is for sissies. :p

13. macrumors 68030

Way over thinking this...wet a rag...wipe it down....go do something else....Really, it's alum and plastic.....use common sense.....

14. macrumors 6502

Ever heard of Fluoroantimonic acid? Try some of that and see what happens :D

15. macrumors 6502

3dflyboy1

Now you're talking!! That's hardcore stuff! :D

16. macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

In my school's chemistry lab, they have 12 molar HCl (aq). I'll just ask to borrow it. I'll explain that I want to dissolve my computer. I'm sure my chem teacher won't mind or be concerned.

17. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I remember a jerk dropping a nickle in acid in our chem lab and it near blew up and they has the evacuate the entire wing of the school due to the gas emitted. :eek:

So use these produce with care!:p

18. macrumors newbie

$218.60 for the Lym-Sat is a bit too hardcore for me lol. Seems to be an awesome product but, sheesh!

19. macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I have a zagg shield on mine so just use a microfibre cloth on that and screen cleaner on the screen. Still looks great but it is only 4 months old.