Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt. Morgan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
OK, I have been waiting for quite some time to replace my Graphite iMac. The MBA may not be perfect, but I have been waiting for that too long! The MBPs are very nice, but I work as a pilot so I will be carrying it extensively. That MBA three pound weight is just too good to pass on. So ...

As far as I can tell, there is no weight savings or battery life improvements to the SSD (or if there is, Apple isn't saying). It is unlikely I would fill either disk. Both choices should last as long as the computer itself. Upgrading from a 7 year old machine, even a 4200 rpm disk will seem fast.

The list of things I could do with an extra $999 is quite long. So why get the SSD?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
The SSD will be faster, but I really can't see it being worth the extra. In 3 or 4 years, the price will get sensible, but for now, personally, I'd go for the HD without a second thought

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
SSD was meant for two things in my mind and that is Video Editing and heavy graphics files. Since this drive is being optioned with a slow a$$ computer, it doesn't make any sense to have a SSD drive in the Air. Also given that SSD's are incredibly expensive and not all that practical in terms of storage, it wouldn't make sense to get it if you're dealing with 100KB word documents.

I think you should get the 80gb standard. Air's overall performance won't need a faster HDD.

SSD in the mac air is only good for a few things people don't necessarily need eg. OSX boots up faster, programs open up quicker, etc.

Eallan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
You would have to kill my family before I'd pay 3100 for a laptop like that.

timeslip

macrumors member
May 20, 2007
For the market that this laptop is being positioned for, SSD is really not practical. Sure, it may use less memory. However, as many have mentioned already, the capacity available is really not practical even if the CPU was a bit faster. 64 GB right? Well after OS + Adobe CS3 Masters (assuming they want the whole suite) or final cut, there goes 20-30GB of space in just applications. SSD's are hot, but I can't see them being used for both primary storage & application specific.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.