Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRuler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
i took the fan out of my mba and i just put a piece of cardboard on the aluminum (so it doesnt get hot) this seems to work really nice: no fan noise, it stays cool, and battery life is improved.

Huubster

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
i took the fan out of my mba and i just put a piece of cardboard on the aluminum (so it doesnt get hot) this seems to work really nice: no fan noise, it stays cool, and battery life is improved.

Could you give a bit more detail? cardboard so it doesnt get hot? :confused:
You seem to defy the laws of physics there!

Pictures perhaps? Since when do you do this? What are effects on performance? Could you please report temperatures from the sensors?

MacRuler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
ok let me clear everything up, i put a piece of cardboard in front of the aluminum casing (at the bottom) between the heat-sink and the aluminum case. It probably does get hot BUT i don't feel it because of the cardboard, this can be done with any other heat insulator such as bubble wrap its been around a month since i have done this and havent seen any problems in performance. ACTUALLY i was having a problem with the display
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=224521&d=1272730149

like the one in the link, ever since i put in the cardboard i have not ONCE had the screen problem, before the mod i would get the screen problem at least once a day. its really weird :confused:

MacRuler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
istat tells me that the cpu temperature is 112 Fahrenheit , this is while i have safari, itunes, powerpoint, word and istat open

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Though the short-term results are great, that sounds absolutely horrific for the long-term health of the computer. Please put the fan back. Logic boards need cooling.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
So not only are you taking away its source of cold air, but you're preventing hot air from escaping.

You took the air out of the air. :(

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Though the short-term results are great, that sounds absolutely horrific for the long-term health of the computer. Please put the fan back. Logic boards need cooling.

Agreed. Count on the CPU and GPU getting fried! I think the OP will be lucky if his or her MBA still works in three months... and that's really pushing it. The fan is there for a reason. Oh well. Not our computer. I guess the OP is willing to buy a new MBA every quarter just so he or she doesn't have to listen to the fan? :confused::confused::confused::eek:

MacRuler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
ok guys thanks for the help, but does the cpu and the gpu get fried over time? or is it like a one time thing? and i guess if it will do that much harm i will put the fan back in.:eek:

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
ok guys thanks for the help, but does the cpu and the gpu get fried over time? or is it like a one time thing? and i guess if it will do that much harm i will put the fan back in.:eek:

If Apple could put cardboard in instead of a heatsink + fan, they would. But they didn't.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

To cool an 'Air': Have a desktop or table made of stone, for the heat sink effect of all that thermal mass. --- Stone commonly comes in 3/4" and 1-1/4" thicknesses, and sometimes the 3/4" gets doubled by laminating it, for the say 3" around an exposed edge. To make a table, buy 4 prefab legs with levellers at the feet (or have a metal shop make something custom), and bring them to the stoneyard. Ask them to work out the details for you, of how to attach the legs, anchor types, and whether or not you need a wood panel underneath as a "subtop". (I would avoid Carerra white marble, since a cold drink can leave a grey spot on it for a while. And if your home has any occupants/visitors who may insist on sitting or standing on such a table... then don't have this sort of table made; they'll break it.) ------ So, you see, a MacBook 'Air' is not a standalone product, but is just an "accessory" to a $2,000. stone table needed to cool it. :eek:)

MacRuler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
why is everyone downing me? the stuff that im doing right now with the cardboard and stuff is working better than the original setup that apple gave me . like i said better battery life the air is colder and it seems to run better without glicthing (the gpu)

Chimpy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2007
HAS to be a joke. There's no way you removed the fan, blocked any air flow through the case, and are seeing temps at 116 degrees fahrenheit. Impossible. My MBA hits 65c (150+ F) WITH a fan.

colonelsanders

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
SLC, Utah
why is everyone downing me? the stuff that im doing right now with the cardboard and stuff is working better than the original setup that apple gave me . like i said better battery life the air is colder and it seems to run better without glicthing (the gpu)

You should post some pics.

Knipperdolling

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
no fan

You may laugh, guys, but I think the fan is actually not doing that much even when running at full speed. My fan broke and I got it replaced by apple care, but as I needed the computer at that time, I just used it for three months before I gave it in. Worked fine. Did not get absurdly hot and did not lag or anything. I had it repaired anyways, of course, and I am working on it now half a year later without any further problems. Should the fan break again once it is out of warranty, I will not have it repaired.

MacRuler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
lmao why would i lie? i have no reason to.. are my temperatures low because i have a ssd? idk.. but THANK you knipper, unless you guys have tried it dont fault it or dont be too sure of what the result will be. To me the fan just seems like it barley does anything, do u guys really think it brings down the temp? i dont think so, it might actually bring it up (using up battery and what not) idk this is just my opinion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.