MBA: [must-have] applications

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by anton1s, Jun 20, 2012.

1. macrumors member

anton1s

Hi All

I just bought my MBA 13 and since it's the first time I am using mac , I was wondering what are the -must have- applications that each user should have ?

Thanks

2. macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors 6502

Not an Application, and not helpful.

Depends on your intended usage really? For a lot of people the basics (Mail, Safari, iCal) and iLife (iPhoto, iMovie) are sufficient. Personally, I like to replace Terminal with iTerm2, iCal with BusyCal, and Mail.app with Postbox - among many other apps I use for work/play.

Give us an indication of your intended usage, and we may be able to help. What is your Mac currently missing?

4. macrumors 68040

tigres

5. macrumors member

The first things I install upon buying a new Mac are...

iWork (Apple's MS Office)
    Clean My Mac (Similar to CCLeaner, deletes cache and language files your may not need)
    Total Finder (Allows for a tabbed Finder experience so you don't have to have open multiple windows)
    Cinch (Brings the W7 snap feature to Mac)

There's a few more that are purely tailored to my needs (Photoshop, Coda, etc). But those are the basics.

I'm sure other people will have more suggestions. :)

6. thread starter macrumors member

anton1s

I am a new mac user and therefore I have to start from scratch. For example vlc is something I would most likely think of installing for movies(never used imovie before so I might not have to install vlc after all).

I've been told that istat pro is really good as well for monitoring the activity of the CPU,SDD etc

Also, do I need a seperate archive tool ? (i.e to open .*rar, *.zip files?)

Thanks for all the help

7. macrumors 603

appleguy123

Bettertouchtool has exponentially increased my Mac's ease of use. I love it, favorite app, free too.

8. macrumors 68040

Nothing really. Unless, of course, you give us a use-case :)

I pretty much exclusively use Chrome, Everntoe, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and Adobe Acrobat Pro (for OCR, annotations, etc.). None of these are "must-have" applications for the Mac, but in my workflow (moving between the Mac and iPad a lot) they are wonderful.

Unique apps like VoodooPad and so forth might make your Mac experience more enjoyable, but these depend on your use-case.

9. macrumors 603

appleguy123

I use rar expander. Hasn't failed me yet. iMovie edits edit, VLC plays them. It's really a must have for Mac.

10. macrumors G4

OS X can handle basic ZIP files. If you want to add encryption or use something more complex, there's an app call BetterZIP that I have used.

I'd check out this forum for more information about software.

11. macrumors member

I completely agree with the Cinch suggestion. Love it so much!

12. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

If your goal is to free up space on your drive, this should help: Freeing up space in Mac OS X

13. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

some that i use often:

caffeine: keeps your mac from going to sleep, which is nice when you are downloading some big files

divvy: really nice for adjusting windows, especially on the 11" (does cost $7)

mplayerx: I think it is the cleanest media player out there.

unarchiver: basically winzip

14. macrumors member

Seconded, but again that's personal opinion.

Adium for chat (MSN Messenger, GTalk etc.) is another Mac staple.

15. macrumors regular

Is there an iWork package I can purchase? I do I have to get Keynote, Pages and Numbers separately?

Does Adium offer anything that iChat doesn't?

16. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can buy iWork as a package.

17. macrumors regular

This is what I use on a daily basis

Mail, iCal and Contact
    Word, Excel, Powerpoint
    Safari
    Adobe Acrobat Pro, Preview
    Unarchiver
    Dropbox
    SuperFlexibleSynchronizer
    Time machine
    Better Snap Tool
    Yoink
    Flux
    iTune

also useful occasionally:

Handbrake, HandbrakePM
    iPhoto, iMovie
    Tansmission
    Skitch
    Papers2
    Caffeine

18. macrumors 6502

The one app I use EVERY day...

Audio Hijack Pro.

It has always been on my laptops. Apple laptops are too quiet to watch media and listen to music on.

Audio Hijack Pro, while ostensibly not designed for this purpose lets you increase the volume of the speakers beyond what the Mac will allow you to do otherwise.

The only other one that I use is Thunderbird for Usenet.

19. macrumors 6502

Actually, the current MacUpdate Promo is particularly good, although you've missed BusyCal now - which was a major player.

20. macrumors regular

Will the mid-2012 MBA 13" 1.8/8/128 run Civilization V?

21. macrumors member

Apart from what comes standard, I recommend:

Google Chrome (might as well get Firefox as well)
    MS Office 2011
    VLC
    Evernote (but this could be obsolete soon given the changes in Mountain Lion)
    BetterTouchTool
    Caffeine
    Jumpcut
    Handbrake
    Transmission
    Gimp

Also, set up a Time Machine backup immediately. They're super easy and can be a real life saver.

Based on your needs, Boot Camp is very useful too.

22. macrumors G4

x2. Also, I'd avoid MacKeeper (you will get lots of pop-up ads for it). In general OS X doesn't require all the "cleaner" applications that Windows does, because it has no Registry. Applications do a better job of uninstalling themselves.

23. macrumors 6502

I can let you know if it'll run on my 11" 2.0/8/256 sometime tomorrow ;-)

Edit: Wouldn't hold your breath for anything spectacular.

24. macrumors G4

For some background, Caffeine is a utility that disables sleep mode. It can be useful if you are running a presentation.

GIMP is an X11 application that requires an additional download to run. X11 is another "shell" on top of UNIX, so X11 applications really aren't "Mac" applications. They are UNIX applications that can run on OS X. GIMP is a photo editor. You can download X11 support here. http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

----------

I would be skeptical. Civilization IV shows lots of artifacts when running on anything above low detail. That said, perhaps Civ V is optimized for the HD 4000, while Civ IV most certainly hasn't been.

25. macrumors 6502a