MBA PCIe SSD: convert to internal SATA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JPamplin, Aug 8, 2012.

1. JPamplin, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Folks,

I'm going to get the SATA3 240GB OWC SSD for my 2011 MBA and wanted to use my 128GB stock SATA2 SSD on a Hackintosh as a boot drive.

What's the form factor for the SSD? Is it a 5cm or 7 cm PCIe card? On the assumption that it's a 7 (also known as mSATA?), would this work to convert it to an internal drive form factor?

eBay Link

Please let me know, or recommend something else I can buy to use my MBA SSD card in a desktop as a SATA2 boot drive.

JP

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors regular

matthewtoney

You should ask OWC (and report back to this thread) :) I bet they'll know...

4. macrumors 6502a

If you buy the enclosure from them (the larger plastic one instead of the slim one) it has a SATA to MBA SSD adapter.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Actually Matthew, I did. It was not helpful - basically, they don't offer ANY product which converts your MBA SSD into an internal SATA drive. They have solutions for external, yes. Their high-end enclosure even has eSATA, which would work if nothing else was available - but it's pricey.

I'm looking to plug my MBA SSD into a SATA port on a desktop and use it as a boot drive. I think the eBay link above will work, but I can't verify. Please, if anyone has had experience with this, reply here.

Thanks!

JP

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Update

Ok, big update here...

I spoke to OWC again and got a much more helpful human. It turns out that the pinouts for the Apple SSD are proprietary (different from mSATA). Also, it's 110mm long, which makes it a different size (longer) than a 2.5" drive.

BUT, there's a card that is specifically designed to do this - and it's $20 shipped on eBay. Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-MACBOOK-...es_dapters&hash=item4aba93c20b#ht_2482wt_1165

Enjoy!:cool: