MBA purchased ... Now Apple Care or 3rd-Party Warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 81Tiger04, Nov 30, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Just purchased my wife's MBA and I'm excited. Now, I cannot decide if I should got with Apple Care or a 3rd-Party Warranty. Has anyone experienced both? Which is recommended? Should I keep it simple and go Apple Care?

2. macrumors 68030

Spink10

I suggest AppleCare from B&H Video - cheapest - may go 3rd party if you have no Apple Retail store / Apple Service provider near you.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Why is B&H cheaper? Is it the same AppleCare warranty you could get from Apple?

4. macrumors 68030

Spink10

Yes - exactly the same. Read the reviews - its 100% legit.

Purchased AppleCare for an old MBP there and also my iMac.

5. macrumors member

I have also purchased Applecare from B&H several times with no issues. I use SquareTrade for my smaller devices--iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and recently had a hassle free experience with them. I think they are great. But for my actual computers, I feel safer with Applecare.

6. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

7. macrumors 6502a

You can purchase Applecare at any time within the first year with Apple, but does B&H let you do that? I'm curious as to how B&H can afford to sell Apple products so much cheaper and even sell Applecare at a much lower price

8. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can buy AppleCare at any time from any vendor that sells it. Whether your Mac qualifies for it is up to Apple, not the vendor.

9. macrumors 601

As long as you are aware AppleCare does not cover accidents, dents, glass break, water damage. It's not an cover-all insurance.

It's a nice thing when ur wife asks, hey I got a problem with my laptop, you say, "oh, take it to the genius, they will take care of you." and u keep golfing :)

10. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. After spending well over $1K on a MBA, AppleCare seems more than worth it.

11. macrumors 68030

Spink10

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582542-REG/Apple_MC246LL_A_3_Year_AppleCare_for_MacBook.html

You can buy AppleCare any time within the first 365 days

You get 1 year warranty with purchase and 90 days phone support.

AppleCare gives you a total of 3 year warranty and 3 years of phone support.

You can check your coverage by on Apple's website with your serial # - https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do