Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
I want to get my college-bound (next year) daughter a MacBook Air for Christmas, and I just noticed that Best Buy has the 13" on sale for $799 ($200 off) until tomorrow, which seems like it might be a good enough deal to justify snatching it up right now (with the downside being that I'll basically lose 3 months of warranty coverage, since it will just sit in the box until Christmas).

I've only been watching the pricing on this machine for a few months, and I've seen it on sale pretty regularly for $899 (so I feel pretty comfortable that I could get that same price closer to Christmas). Is $799 an uncommonly good price that is too good to pass up?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
It shouldn't be hard to find that deal or an even snazzier one on black Friday, so personally I'd hold off until then. Saves you more of the warranty headache.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Best buy tends to run their mac laptops for $50-$200 off quite frequently, if you watch the sales for awhile it seems like once a month or so most of the machines are $150-$200 off for at least a few days. They have a deal right now where you can get $50 off a macbook as part of a student discount (the coupons are on ebay for pretty cheap) or you can always use a movers coupon for an additional 10% off (these are also on eBay but are more expensive and you have to be careful because some of them exclude computers and tablets) but I'm pretty sure these don't stack so you can't use both at the same time.

My advice since you have some time is to watch the prices for awhile and when it's $200+ off use a coupon too to cut the price even more. As far as the warranty coverage I'm not sure if it sat in the box for several months if that would count against the warranty or not. I've heard in the past that the warranty coverage starts when the computer is powered on and registered but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
As far as the warranty coverage I'm not sure if it sat in the box for several months if that would count against the warranty or not. I've heard in the past that the warranty coverage starts when the computer is powered on and registered but I'm not 100% sure on that.
It starts when it is purchased, sometimes though if you buy through a third party like Best Buy Apple may not have the right date in their system so you want to keep the respite just in case you need to prove the date it was purchased for warranty reasons.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
Ok, thanks... I'll hold off for now, and will continue to monitor the sales as we get closer to Christmas (and will look into those coupons as well).

zunairryk

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Apple's standard 1-year warranty starts the day the device is purchased.

Are you sure? I recently purchased a macbook pro 13 and didn't open it until a week or so later. The warranty started the day i turned it on and registered with my apple ID.

I recall having a similar situation regarding an iPad i purchased couple of years ago.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^This. But just to be sure, why not call an Apple store and just ask? Tell them your buying it for a gift and it will not be opened for awhile - Just as you've explained here.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.