MBA...Slow to Start...Slow to Shutdown...

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by JoelBC, Feb 4, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jun 16, 2012
    I have a four month old 2012 MBA (wow, how time flies)...

I noticed over the weekend that when I start my MBA I get a grey screen -- before the Apple logo appears -- for a lengthly period of time and when I shutdown my MBA I get a grey screen and the spinning cog (sometimes for as long as 20 seconds).

I previously never had this problem in that start up flashed the grey screen for 3 to 5 seconds and shutdown never even displayed the grey screen (i.e. it went shutdown immediately). And, before anyone asks, i) I have not installed any new software in the last month and ii) I have a very basic / clean setup with few applications (i.e. I have added less than a dozen applications to OS X).

I would love to return to the previous fast startup and shutdown and would appreciate any insight into how to address this.

2. macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2007
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    This seems to be a common problem with 10.8 & MBA. Check out the MBA section on MR, there are quite a few posts about it.

This happens to me also on my (4 month old :)) MBA. But since I sleep it for weeks on end, its vary rare I reboot and see the issue.