Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ale.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Greetings, this is my first post here, so i will give a brief bio. I just bought my first macbook air, MacBookAir1,1 C2D 1.6ghz.

The friend from which i bought the computer had problems with his hard drive, and bought a new one, 2 days after i started using it, i tried to install boot camp, while formatting it gave a error, thats when everything went down hill, i got a warning from the hard drive SMART, "status: failing". 1 week later now the mba keeps freezing at random times (same thing happened to the previous owner).

I have 2 questions, and i hope the community can help me:

1. Is there anyway to fix this? (i have already tried to format it)
2. Is this hard drive compatible with my macbook air (http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Techn...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301113389&sr=1-2)

or ebay item number: 120700457248

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
No that SSD will not work. You need a 1.8" form factor with 5mm height that uses an ZIF/LIF connector for a PATA drive controller.

Renice makes a really nice SSD I reviewed for the original MBA.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1039381/

Your drive is definitely failing, and that is what your SMART sensor is telling you. It is not the computer, unless it's the drive controller, but I would assume it's the drive itself that is failing.

There is also a Runcore SSD for it. Go to MyDigitalDiscount.com for both the Renice or Runcore SSDs, and you want one for the "original" or "rev A" MBA.

Send me a PM with any questions. Best wishes with it.

samsid

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
My hdd for the original Macbook Air is also failing. I've had to restore it many times over the last few months and now it's making the ticking sound every now and then plus I am getting the SMART error.

I haven't pulled the trigger on replacing it with a SSD yet because I'm unsure of the reputations of the few online retailers that offer either the Renice or Runcore SSD. Has anyone had any actual experience with MyDigitalDiscount.com or any of the others?

DukeProblems

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
long time reader first time poster, I find it interesting that there's a few of these popping up as I just had my Rev. A, 80 gb hard drive fail last night. Fortunately still under applecare and they will replace HDD for free, but I'm curious if y'all think it's worth going for an SSD in the future, computer is pushing 3 years old now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.