Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I just upgraded a 1.86 SSD to Snow Leopard and the battery is listed on the menu bar as NOT CHARGING which seems to be true.

HELP! It was working fine before the upgrade.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Have you run the software update? Once I installed SL, there were a couple firmware updates and some software. Maybe after firmware and software updates, and a reboot, it will be corrected.

AIRniloc

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2008
anozira
is the battery recognized under system profiler>power?

have you reset your SMC?

have you booted off of another HD or install disk to see if it is the OS?

grinny11

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
mine said this yesterday while i had it on my bed watching a movie. I thought it just got too hot so I put it on sleep and waited 5 min to plug it back in. It then statrted charging and is now fine.

MBProUserToo

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
Mine too

My macbook pro is having the same problem. it is intermittant. I reset the PRAM, and that helped for awhile, but it came back. It happened tonight and went away on its own. I'm completely perplexed by the problem!

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Hey Guys,
I am having the same problem w/ a friends mac Book Pro.... Battery not Charging after Snow Leapord Install. We reset PRAM and did software updates but didn't help.
Any other Suggestions?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
There do seem to be some battery-related changes in 10.6. About a year ago I started getting an issue where the system would shut off without warning at about 40% charge. I bought a new battery (which fixed the problem) but kept the old one around. Now when I insert the old one it tells me that the battery needs service, which it never did until 10.5.

I'm not really sure where I'm going here other than that there is obviously some new battery code now.

qvz23

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
Battery Not Charging 10.6.7

-
Same problem here im running the latest SL 10.6.7 when i plug in the battery it shows as (battery not charging) for 5 to 10 minutes then it begins to charge. Also i have noticed that the battery life is 1/2 of what it was with 10.5

Does anyone know the fix for this. I have reset my pram, smc and that has not helped. Anyone? :confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
-
Same problem here im running the latest SL 10.6.7 when i plug in the battery it shows as (battery not charging) for 5 to 10 minutes then it begins to charge. Also i have noticed that the battery life is 1/2 of what it was with 10.5

Does anyone know the fix for this. I have reset my pram, smc and that has not helped. Anyone? :confused:
PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with power, charging or battery issues. Resetting the SMC can correct such problems. Calibrate your battery to make sure the readings are correct. Instructions for resetting SMC and calibrating are in the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Candyland217

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
Same issue again! Tried everything. Please help

Just upgraded from Tiger to Snow leopard. Tried everything everyone above has suggested. Flashes back n forth every 2 seconds saying charging- not charging and the plug in light keeps flashing from red to green and back to red with the changing of the charging not charging status. Was stuck on 92%, after a re-calibrate it charged for up until 87% then got stuck again. :confused:
The battery is only a few months old.
Done multiple software updates,
the battery is recognized under the profiler and is still in working good condition with low cycles completed,
Ive reset my SMC,
I've booted off another disc,
reset the PRAM,
turned it to sleep mode, restarted, and shut it down.
I've also re-calibrated the battery.
Let it rest for possible overheating.
WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?
Please help!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?
Please help!
First, which computer model do you have? Even though you've posted this in the MacBook Air forum, I'm assuming you can't have a MacBook Air because none of them came with Tiger on them. Did you read the link for troubleshooting a MagSafe adapter in the Battery FAQ link I posted? If you've properly reset the SMC and your battery and adapter are OK, it may be a problem with your logic board. Be sure to read all of the Battery FAQ as it will likely answer your questions, unless you have a hardware problem.

Jdstew1234

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
I have a february MBP 13' i7 and the magsafe light is going from green--> red--> off. This only happens when i first plug the cable into the wall socket or when i turn my computer back on. I have a 1% charge and have reset the smc. Anyone know what is happening

stepandy

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I have 2.4 Ghz MBP i5 with 10.6.6.
Same here, battery not charging.
Toot the lappy to Genius. They ran the diagnostic - dead battery.
Lucky, MBP still under warranty, so battery replacement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.