Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abuleban

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Am I the only one, or does the SSD fill up faster than a standard HD? Right now I of course keep my iTunes library on an external drive, and soon I will do the same for my iPhoto library as well. That said, it seems that I loose space faster than I would expect, is that how these drives behave? All I can say is thank goodness I got the 256 GB model!

thanks in advance for any advice!
:D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Check that "Copy files to iTunes Media-folder when added to library" and "Copy files to iPhoto-library" boxes are unchecked. Otherwise files may be copied to the SSD as well

abuleban

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Thanks for the suggestions!

I had something like this happen to the SSD in my iMac. Check out this thread, some of the suggestions might be helpful. I eventually had to erase and reinstall to fix the problem.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1021624/

I've downloaded a bunch of apps to see what dead weight I can get rid of, & I also got the pics off of it. Still, it's telling me that the System, Apps, library and Users add up to something like 35 GB, and there is only 111.51 GB free... out of close to 256 GB? What's up with that?

:cool:

Last edited:

abuleban

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Eureka!

Disk Inventory X to the rescue!

Turns out hidemyip had written a 90 GB log file!!!

Now I've got 208 GB free, whoo hoo!!!!

Thanks!

Attachments

• yikes.jpg
    yikes.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 245

abuleban

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Thanks, but not out of the woods yet

Try GrandPerspective to see a map of how's your disk space allocated: http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

Always helps me finding useless (forgotten) files that take a lot of space.

I removed the offending app, and deleted the log file, but for some reason, a log file is still being generated; not as big as before, but I'd really like to get rid of it; any idea how I can do this?

thanks!

Jasoco

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Why do you need Hide My IP? If that's causing the problem, something tells me it's a terrible app. And why would an app that just hides your IP make a log file that big?

Also, I second GrandPerspective. Delete that crappy Disk Inventory X app and get GrandPerspective. Does the same thing much better and wastes less screen space so you have more room for actually seeing the disk layout.

abuleban

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Finally found

a hidemyip file in a bin folder, trashed that and all seems to be well!

And imho, Disk inventory works just fine, but I got the other one as well,

thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.