mbAir is better buy than 13" mbp....agree

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jayo123456, Nov 2, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

If a SSD is a must.......
    then I think a 13" Air is the better buy.

agree?

mbp:
    backlight key
    faster processor
    little better battery

air:
    higher res screen
    half the weigth
    slimmer profile, newer body

they go for about the same price, configd' with 4gb ram. Also considering $200+ to throw in your own SSD into mbp.

[I don't know if Im allowed to create 2 identical threads. I just wanted to hear from Air guys vs mbp guys, seperately. Mods feel free to delete this thread]

2. macrumors 603

nfl46

Depends on how you look at it. If the Air is infact better than the Pro, it will only be for a short time. A MBP refresh should be coming in a few months. An entry level MBP could be priced as low as $1199. If thats the case, I will be selling my MBA for a Pro at that price. Either way it goes, I will probably switch to a MBP. It depends on what the new MBPs offers in a few months. I really hate carrying this external DVD/CD burner around. UGH!

3. thread starter macrumors regular

4. macrumors 6502a

hah a lot of the same people are in each forum.. it depends on your use. Ones better for some and the others better for other things.

5. macrumors member

6. macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Now we all know that the MBP refresh is going to have the Flash Storage but that shouldn't take you away from the MBA.

The thinness a lightness of the MacBook Air is a huge +.

Of course once the MBP has the flash storage it will be faster then the MacBook Air but remember that the MBA is for those who don't need all of what the MBP has in terms of specs.

7. macrumors 6502a

MBPs do NOT have better battery life. The MBAs are using new battery tests.

8. macrumors regular

really, i thought they did.. .

*EDIT
    Just checked the Apple site. They claim up to 7 hours for the 13" Air & up to 10 hours for the 13" MBP.. .

9. macrumors 68040

Pressure

The trick is that they aren't using the same test methodology.

10. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It depends on your needs.
    The 13" MBP has an ethernet port, FW port, ability to upgrade the ram, ability to upgrade the hard drive, has an optical drive and a backlighted keyboard.

Many people will say because of these features, the MBP is a better buy, even when including a SSD.

The MBA has size and to a degree speed on its side, as the 13" MBA seems to beat the 13" MBP in many of the benchmarks,

It all boils down to what are your needs and which machine will best meet those needs.

11. macrumors 6502

I agree; I assume if you add an SSD to the 13" MBP, it's faster in every test, too (but a bit more expensive then).

I'll get the MBA for travel/meetings etc., I fell in love with the 11.6" the moment I saw it. ;)

The MBP is better as a computer, though, it's apples to oranges .

12. macrumors member

I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, when it came time to plunk down the cash for my MBA 11, it was a real struggle to make the feature tradeoff due to the fact that the MBP 13 has so many features. I travel for days on end, with a lot of other gear, so the tradeoff was a little easier, but for the casual user, without huge mobility challenges, the MBP 13 is one heck of a machine for the money. I would even go so far as to say, if there were only a MBA 13 offered, I would have a MBP 13 right now. It was really the form factor on the MBA 11 that won the day.

13. macrumors 604

Why was it necessary to open the same thread on two different sections of the forum?

The question posed is meaningless without qualification. For some the air is better and for some the MBP is better. There is no way to come up with a sensible "MBA is better, period" or "MBP is better, period", without specifying in what circumstances and for what users.

14. macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Yup, agreed - but the MBPs are dying for an upgrade. We need to wait and see.

15. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't see any update in 2010, so I believe we have to sit tight until 2011