MBC2D: Should I upgrade my RAM to 2GB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fitzbananas, Jan 14, 2007.

1. fitzbananas macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I'm planning on purchasing a MB C2D White 2GHz and need some advice. Should I upgrade the memory from 1GB to 2GB? I'll be using the MB for common functions (making DVDs, editing home movies,photoshop, works,etc.). And is the apple care worth purchasing?

thanks.

2. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

More RAM is always better. If you can afford it, go for it. You won't regret it.

And I'd strongly recommend the AppleCare as well. You're putting all that money into your machine, might as well protect it too!

3. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Absolutely,
    One can never have enough Ram.
    Enjoy your new laptop.

4. gavd macrumors 6502a

I've got a CD MacBook and upgraded it from the 512mb Ram it came with to 2gb and it does make a lot of difference - even just in day to day use without pushing it.

If you can afford it, then get the 2gb!

5. kermit4161 macrumors regular

If you are going to doing movie editing and photoshop work, then it is REALLY important to max out your RAM. Most graphic intesnse programs are memory hogs... photoshop especially.

Applecare often pays for itself and should always be purchase if at all possible. You can however wait and buy it before your year's warranty expires. No need to buy it right away if you don't have the funds yet. But I'd get it as soon as you did.

6. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I upgraded my C2D MBP to 2GB a couple weeks ago, and the difference has been fantastic -- particularly in Aperture, iPhoto, and Parallels.

I bought the RAM chip at Best Buy on sale for $80, which I thought was a good deal. I hadn't been really looking to upgrade, but didn't want to pass up a bargain. I'm really glad I did!

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I 100% agree. Upgrade that computer!

8. caligula357 macrumors member

caligula357

update to 2Gb when you purchase it, as this will work out cheaper in the long run.

if you only had 1Gb, that would be 512Mb in each slot (not memory slots free).
    therefore, if you wanted to upgrade to 2 Gb in the future, you would have to buy 2x1Gb, and discard the 2x512Mb.

does that lot make sense :confused:

9. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

This is not the case here. The C2D MacBook Pro with the standard 1GB memory comes with a single 1GB module and one empty slot.

Edit: Sorry -- mistakenly thought the original poster was talking about a MacBook Pro. Anyone else think this was all far less confusing when they were called iBooks and PowerBooks??? :)

10. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Of course! I agree with the previous poster. Upgrade to 2Gb when you purchase, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

11. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

No! This isn't true at all! MacBook Pros (not Macbooks) come with 1 slot filled and 1 slot empty. It is usually MUCH cheaper to fill that second slot yourself!

Edit: My apologies -- I thought the original poster had a MacBook Pro. Egg on my face! Sorry guys!

Although you still might make out better by getting the stock 1 GB RAM, buying a less expensive upgrade elsewhere, and then eBaying or Craigslisting the original pair.

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

fitzbananas, I would also encourage you to upgrade the RAM in the MacBook to 2GB. I also think that AppleCare is a wise investment (especially for laptop computers). :)

13. MatthewConnelly macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

I bought a stock black MacBook with 1GB RAM. Used it for a few weeks with no problems, but upgraded to 2GB as a few programs lagged at times. 2GB RAM makes a difference when you have lots of programs open at once, definitely worth upgrading.

14. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Yes, upgrade to 2 Gb. The difference when using Aperture and Photoshop will be quite noticeable.

FJ