MBook for design work should be fine...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by id-sign, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. id-sign macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2005
    #1
    It's just way too easy to get into the mindset of feeling the need to buy the top of the line computer just because we do graphic design and run CS2, etc... {Warning: rambling ahead...looking for other's related experience, opinions}

    Maybe I'm not really a true "professional" for doing so, but I'm running all my design & sign prog's on a 1.5Ghz Mini w/ 1GB and it runs fine; much faster than the Sony Windoze machine I had before it. I got the Mini as an intermediate machine to learn the Mac system and to get up to speed on the best Mac programs and such until a new Intel based Mac laptop appeared. I assumed I would go for a MBP, but while waiting for bugs to appear and get fixed, I've been trying to get a grips on what I really need...

    Now we have supposedly have Intel Core Duo MacBooks coming very soon? I think it's safe to say they will easily outrun my "old" Mini(don't start with the Universal Adobe 2007 release and all that...) I now plan on going for the 13" MB w/ maxed out RAM and other options and think I'll be quite happy.

    I will need to run CS2 and like programs, something like Parallels to run 2 prog's that I need which will never be released for Mac, and be able to hook up to my 20" Dell monitor.
     
  2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

    dornoforpyros

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    Location:
    Calgary, AB
    #2
    sounds like you've already made up your mind. Although it's hard to say what a machine that hasn't been released yet will be capable of.

    Since you don't want to hear the universal binary arguments then enjoy your purchase I suppose.

    Obviosly we don't know what apple is going to do but currently the iBook is crippled resolution wise when used with an external display, although there is a hack around this.
     
  3. gman71882 macrumors 6502

    gman71882

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2005
    Location:
    Houston, Tx
    #3
    If the Mac mini's runing fine why not just wait out the Intel Transition until the Adobe Appls are Universal. Seems like the mini was a good choice and in about 5-6 months a New Intel mac might be a good choice.

    Otherwise if you have the Windoze versions of Adobe apps then take the High Dive plunge and get the system now and just run virtualization OR Dual boot.
     
  4. pavetheforest macrumors regular

    pavetheforest

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2006
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #4
    Well, it seems as if your in the same state of mind as I am. I am also looking to run Adobe creative Suite CS2 apps, Flash MX, etc, and was seriously considering the MBP machine. But now, I'm leaning towards getting the macBook with more ram-and I think that's the way to go. Price is definitly key...With the virtualization software and Bootcamp I dont see why the new macBook wont suffice your (and my) needs. I feel like maybe they got their bugs out of the MBP and know what NOT to do on the upcoming macBook. I'm waiting it out. :cool:
     

Share This Page