MBP 1.83 vs. 2.0 (Amazon order)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by w8ing4intelmacs, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast, US
    #1
    Is it worth the $500 difference? slightly faster CPU, 1GB SODIMM, larger video memory, larger hard drive. That's it as far as I can tell.

    I originally ordered the 1.83 (from Amazon) on 1/18 but my ship date is still 3/22. I ordered a 2.0 (again from Amazon) today (2/25) and the ship date is Monday (2/27). I plan to cancel my 1.83 when my 2.0 ships. The $500 is rough for me, but for peace of mind, I decided to pull the trigger.
     
  2. PieMac macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2002
    #2
    I have been wrestling with the same decision-I put in an order for both the 1.83 and the 2.0 at Amazon and figured I would have a while to mull it over. I had pretty much decided that I would be just fine with the 1.83 and maxing out the RAM but time has become an issue since I just sold my PowerBook and am having laptop withdrawal, so I figured I'd go with whichever ships first as the time factor has become priority over money.

    As of last night the 2.0 MBP is supposed to ship out Monday one day delivery. I hope so (it's still listed as "not yet released" on Amazon's website). Time will tell...keep an eye on the progress of your order with them-I love Amazon, but I've had orders get stuck at a certain point in the shipping process.
     
  3. w8ing4intelmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast, US
    #3
    I was thinking that a 2.0 sounds better that 1.83 (much like 1GHz sounds better than 867MHz). I know, that's totally subjective, but I do notice that on eBay 1GHz Powerbooks have a significantly better resale value than the 867's.
     
  4. PieMac macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2002
    #4

    I agree...and the resale will be better down the road.
     
  5. slazareth macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2006
    #5
    I think the bigger issues until rosetta is no longer necessary will be RAM. I personally opted for 2.0. It will last a little longer (as far as system requirements) and as mentioned it will have a higher resale value. If you're not planning on using pro applications though (adobe, macromedia, logic, pro-tools, etc) then you should be fine with the 1.83 and not a ton of RAM.
     

Share This Page