MBP 1.83 vs ...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ICEBrk, Aug 12, 2006.

  1. ICEBrk macrumors newbie

    Aug 12, 2006
    Hello Fellow Macadamians,
    I'm in the market for what must be my 8th Mac and I can't say I was ever this indecisive about my choice.
    Although I have a G4 733 tower and a PB 500, my arsenal needs updating.

    I would LOVE to wait for the Merom MBPs but I have to fly back to germany for a few months in 10 days and my PB is falling apart (Firewire plug fell apart meaning I can only use the one cable that it broke with and my power cord just started getting sparks near the wall plug)

    Sure, a 2+ghz Merom Black iodized MBP would make me a very happy man but since apple hasn't even announced it, I can't wait anymore. Plus a case redesign would be a big NO NO. I don't believe in buying rev A case redesigns (see my rev A PB 500 and replacing the hinge twice so far)

    So here's my question, I'm pretty keen on getting the 1.83 MBP for a cool 1539USD and just tossing a 1gb ram upgrade for a total of 1.5.... Is this a good idea? I don't think I'll be missing out on the 64bit-ness nor the 5-10% battery life and if leopoard is really that sweet I'll just get a quad core next year.
    The MBP i'm looking at is MA463LL/A, Am I risking sterility? Should I go for a future revision? if so what part #s would you reccomend? Since I'm in europe 50% of the year I really need something that wont break (somehow I'm skeptical AppleCare there is as good as it is here) Are some MBP models more succeptible for failure than others? Should I take it to the AppleStore complaining about heat on the day I get it to get the thermal paste fixed? I know this is enough questions for at least 10 sepperate threads but I would really appreciate some knowledgeable advice (I haven't done much research as I was hoping on Meroms at WWDC to make this choice much easier)
    Thanks in advance.
  2. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2006
    If you really can't wait then that refurb idea seems like a smart choice. Even if the Merom MBP was released tmmw that price would still be a good deal. You'll beable to sell it without too much of a loss whenever you feel like upgrading.
  3. ICEBrk thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 12, 2006
    $1539 new!

    that's actually the funny thing. The refurb is 1549 from apple, I'm looking at a new one for 1539. Seems almost too good to pass up.

    Am not planning on babies any time soon but I wouldn't want a few $s saved on a cheaper (early revision MBP) to sterilize me for life though... Are future revisions better about this?
  4. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2006
    I don't think we will see a MBP restyle until Santa Rosa and that's still a very long way off. If you need a MBP, buy it, then sell it. If something else comes along that you would prefer you can always sell it for a very small and worthwhile loss at a great price like that.
  5. Oofie macrumors regular

    Jul 25, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Check macconnection.com. I got one probably 2 weeks ago for 1499 after rebate. But since you'll be going to go europe, you probably wont like the rebate.
  6. ICEBrk thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 12, 2006
    Reconditioned vs new

    Yes but those are all reconditioned. for 40$ more I'm looking at a brand spanking new one... I've never bought a refurb before but besides lacking that "new powerbook smell" the only other difference would be a risk of cosmetic problems.
    And if I choose to sell it I'd probably get more being first owner.

Share This Page