MBP 1.83GHz for $1399?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bhrose, Jun 27, 2006.

1. bhrose Guest

My school has new 1.83GHz MBPs that are leftover inventory. At $1399, they're the same price as the BlackBook. Were any of the mooing or heat issues found on some 1.83GHz MBPs solved with the updated 2GHz models? Does it make any sense to pay an extra $400 for the current MBP model?

They also had new 12-inch PowerBooks for $999, but I just sold mine to switch to Intel.

Thanks,

Brian

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

3. regre7 macrumors 6502

#$^^*#$^#@%$#&^*%#^%$@%^$%&^%*#^$@^

GET ME ONE! OR TWO!

And I believe the moo was fixed with a firmware update on all MBPs.

4. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Which school??? It's a steal. Refurb MBP 1.83 ghz goes for $1549.

5. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

6. bhrose thread starter Guest

The University of Washington bookstore often ends up with leftover inventory for Apple hardware because there's an Apple Store and the Seattle MAC Store just down the street. It works out well if you don't mind buying very slightly older, but still new, hardware.

7. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Damn, that's $100 cheaper than at my school (UCLA). Maybe they lowered it too. Haven't checked in about 1.5 weeks.

** runs off to check school's website **

8. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Jeez, I wish I could get that kind of deal. I would buy it on the spot.

Arg, I want my first Mac with a year of highschool still left. No student discount is killing me, lol.

9. regre7 macrumors 6502

Just find someone who is education and get them to buy it for you. Fortunately, my friend and I are switching at the same time, and both of us have a parent in education. Well, it was nice, but now he's getting his from Amazon and I'm getting mine from the Marketplace.

10. generik macrumors 601

generik

Ahh.. the beauty of switching over to Intel chips.

Goodbye resale value, hello to $100 Macs on eBay soon :p

11. sk1985 macrumors regular

Lame I say. My school's downtown campus is just blocks away from the Chicago apple store and we get no such deals....You're very lucky. P.S get the macbook pro. It has a way better GPU and Screen then any MB would.

12. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

If you had the money, I'd even buy a couple extra and make some money off on ebay.

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Buy, buy, buy!!!!

Good idea dongmin. :)

14. coal macrumors regular

coal

15. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I WANT ONE!!!!! It's so cheap! The cheaper than I paid for my 2Ghz white MB:(

Why is everything so much cheaper in the states?:(

16. bhrose thread starter Guest

I actually decided to pass on this deal. I'm looking for something a bit more portable, something I can throw in my messenger bag. Upgrading from the 12" PowerBook, the 15" MBP looks b-i-g. I looked into selling a MBP on eBay like one poster suggested, but that doesn't seem worth all of the hassle. It just means there's another MBP for someone who really needs it. Thanks for the advice.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Because it's bigger? What alternatives are there for you right now? THe 13.3" MBs aren't much smaller than the 15" MBPs (just look at them side by side), and since there's no more 12" at Apple anymore, this may be the best deal around.

18. auxplage macrumors 6502

YOU PASSED ON THIS DEAL!!!

I guess that I get to spend only $1799 on my MacBook Pro. :mad:

But . . . you did the right thing in not buying any and selling them. That would be unethical. :) ;) :eek:

19. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

BackInTheSaddle

I agree with you. Having owned both a 12" and 15" PB, there is a huge difference in form factor. Even though I love the new MacBook, the size bump from the 12 is definitely noticeable, especially when working in confined spaces (like the middle seat on a 737).

20. generik macrumors 601

generik

Ouch, I can certainly understand why you went for the MB, that machine is way more rugged.. but that is really too good a deal to pass up on.. :eek:

21. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I would buy it and sell a few of them. That is a good price.

Very true.

22. bhrose thread starter Guest

Oh, I meant I passed up on the deal completely. I didn't buy a MBP or the BlackBook. I don't need a notebook until I start ad school and my school offers these kinds of close-out deals nearly every time a new model or new revision is released by Apple. I can stand to wait for another revision of the MBP series.

The MB doesn't seem all that more rugged than the MBP. I mean, I don't plan on dropping my notebook no matter which one I end up buying. Having just sold my 1.5GHz 12" PowerBook, I prefer the aluminum body over the plastic MB.

The prices for new 1.83GHz MBPs on eBay are nearly the same as the $1399 price (plus tax) as far as I can tell. I guess I'm just not willing to go through the hassle for a hundred dollars or so. Now, if I really, really needed a new iPod, that might be a different story.

23. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I would have bought it and then put it on eBay, probably could have made $300-400.