Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sooty99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2015
So, I got my Macbook Pro a couple of weeks ago and have found that it is getting really hot. I am not talking warm, I am talking hot as in I need to take it of my trousers (pants) as it is getting really hot. When browsing the web the CPU sits at about 7% each core but ram in use is about 9GB. This seems like an awful lot of memory but i haven't been using OSX a lot so this may be normal.

Is this normal? If it isn't do i need to book a Genius appointment or something?

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015
So, I got my Macbook Pro a couple of weeks ago and have found that it is getting really hot. I am not talking warm, I am talking hot as in I need to take it of my trousers (pants) as it is getting really hot. When browsing the web the CPU sits at about 7% each core but ram in use is about 9GB. This seems like an awful lot of memory but i haven't been using OSX a lot so this may be normal.

Is this normal? If it isn't do i need to book a Genius appointment or something?

9GB of ram for browsing the web seems way too much, even if its chrome.

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015

The bottom case will get pretty damn hot during use(case heat dissipation), if you are doing anything intensive, or if you have a runaway process, keep it off your lap period. I recommend very short intervals where it is actually on your lap for light duty tasks ONLY, if you really need to have it there.

Regarding your RAM usage, that is high, whatever browser you are using, quit and relaunch(do not resume your tabs for best efficacy) the app. IF this continues, restart the computer. If still continues, make sure you have no add ons or other apps that are conflicting with it.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
It shouldn't get hot when doing only browsing. Hell, it shouldn't even get warm. But - high RAM usage is nothing unusual, OS X tends to take up most of the memory available, it's designed to do that. Only panic if the actual browser is taking up 9 GB.

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
It shouldn't get hot when doing only browsing. Hell, it shouldn't even get warm. But - high RAM usage is nothing unusual, OS X tends to take up most of the memory available, it's designed to do that. Only panic if the actual browser is taking up 9 GB.

The operative word here is "shouldn't. The thing is though, just because something shouldn't do something, doesn't mean it won't. To je pravda, a pravda vitezi.

Sooty99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2015
Thanks for your comments guys - I bought my MB as i needed a machine to render video etc on the move as well as a machine capable of handling programs like FCP etc.

I am currently converting some mkv clips to mp4 at the minute. All 8 cores running 100%. Attached is an image of what TG Pro has said. Should i be worried?

I am also asking whether it is safe to be running my Mac like this for an extended amount of time ( 1hr 15 mins)....

I haven't bought a mac in ages apart from this one so it is highly likely I am being a protective father sheep over my children...( if you get what I mean)

Screen_Shot_2015_09_18_at_23_35_26.png

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Thanks for your comments guys - I bought my MB as i needed a machine to render video etc on the move as well as a machine capable of handling programs like FCP etc.

I am currently converting some mkv clips to mp4 at the minute. All 8 cores running 100%. Attached is an image of what TG Pro has said. Should i be worried?

I am also asking whether it is safe to be running my Mac like this for an extended amount of time ( 1hr 15 mins)....

I haven't bought a mac in ages apart from this one so it is highly likely I am being a protective father sheep over my children...( if you get what I mean)

Your temps are normal considering the CPU usage. Keep in mind the CPU does a pretty good job throttling itself to prevent a "meltdown"

I have run my rMBP at temps like this for 13 hours at one point, and I have done this several times.. no ill effect of yet

An hour and fifteen minutes of a heavy duty task is nothing to worry about, your mac will be fine :)

mlsusa

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Your temps are normal considering the CPU usage. Keep in mind the CPU does a pretty good job throttling itself to prevent a "meltdown"

I have run my rMBP at temps like this for 13 hours at one point, and I have done this several times.. no ill effect of yet

An hour and fifteen minutes of a heavy duty task is nothing to worry about, your mac will be fine :)

How fast are the fans spinning and how loud when this is happening to you? Mine doesn't have to get that hot to go full blast (5-6k rpm). I'm not worried that it's causing damage or shortening life. It's more that it's loud. Really loud. Like, my-wife-is-more-than-20-feet-away-and-is-asking-what's-that loud.

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
For loads that I know will be heavy and long, i switch to a cooling profile I created which runs my fans at maximum speed, 6000rpm left, 5600rpm right.. its definitely obvious they are on at that point(loud for an rMBP, not loud in comparison to other notebooks offering similar levels of performance).

If noise is a mega issue for you, I would suggest either moving your Mac to a cooler room(aluminum chassis dissipates heat better), place your mac on a solid surface(granite, marble, materials that take a long time to conduct heat in general), or use a desktop computer to complete the task, as they have more cooling headroom.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Your temps are normal, perfectly safe, and nothing to worry about. Especially given the CPU usage.

There are thousands upon thousands of threads on this subforum regarding this very question. You could try a search next time.

Reactions: chevalier433

mlsusa

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
For loads that I know will be heavy and long, i switch to a cooling profile I created which runs my fans at maximum speed, 6000rpm left, 5600rpm right.. its definitely obvious they are on at that point(loud for an rMBP, not loud in comparison to other notebooks offering similar levels of performance).

If noise is a mega issue for you, I would suggest either moving your Mac to a cooler room(aluminum chassis dissipates heat better), place your mac on a solid surface(granite, marble, materials that take a long time to conduct heat in general), or use a desktop computer to complete the task, as they have more cooling headroom.

Thanks. Like I said I'm not worried about the damage meaning I'm okay with the temperature and even the fan speeds. Just wondering if you felt the fans were loud but it's good to know you don't think it's as loud as other notebooks or laptops you've used.

Sooty99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2015

Great! Yeah my fans are loud, doesn't bother me to much as if i know i will be doing something demanding I will set it off either at a time I will not be going to bed or will move it downstairs or something.

Thanks for the help :)

patternjake

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
OS X is designed to use as much memory as possible, it kind of keeps as much of everything in RAM as possible, that's why everything loads so fast on a mac. However I recommend that you ditch Chrome and use Safari, it's much less resource intensive and is a better browser on mac in my experience.

But coming down to the heat issue, it could be an air circulation problem. If it's sitting on your lap all the time it's going to run hot as it's not on a hard surface. Personally, keep the laptop where it belongs, on a desk. Oh the irony in the word laptop, they were never really designed to sit on laps without burning off your privates. That's what tablets were invented for haha!

ckWTB

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2014
Portland, OR
You have a powerful machine and you are running it hard, which means that it will generate a ton of heat, and depending on a number of variables, this heat will build up and force your processors to throttle. The throttling will protect your processors from immediate damage but you will see a decrease in performance. Long term heat exposure can reduce longterm reliability. If you intend on running your laptop like a desktop then you will want to provide desktop levels of supplemental cooling so that heat is less of a limiting factor in overall performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.