MBP 15" C2D + 2x2407WFP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saxondale., Mar 15, 2007.

1. saxondale. macrumors 6502

I have one running through it, is it possible for 2?

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

No, and this has been discussed to death. Notebooks only support one external display. You can ghetto-ize it with the pricey Matrox Dual/TripleHead2Go, but that maxes out at 1024 vertical resolution (I think), it's analog only, and it works by making your computer think it's one giant display, not two separate ones -- which sucks for a number of reasons. Regardless, it certainly wouldn't work with 24" displays.

BTW, are you from Neowin?

3. saxondale. thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Not sure if it works but you can try a dual dvi splitter.

A single DVI signal can run a 1920 x 1200 display. A DVI split cable should just split the dual DVI signal into two single DVI signals.

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

HOw About an ExpressCard/34 DVI Card?

Who makes a splitter like that? I was thinking maybe someone makes an ExpressCard/34 DVI card that could drive a second external screen. But I don't know if such a product exists yet does anyone?

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Ebay ;)

It will probably run you a massive $13 :D

Google for dual dvi splitter and check out the results.

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yeah I'm really interested to see if that's a real product too, because I've never heard anything about it. And given what I know about the DVI spec, it shouldn't work. A DVI signal is digital, it can't be "split" -- the original signal source (the MacBook) is still going to be transmitting data as if it's a single display. It can be duplicated with the right equipment, but I've never seen a DVI splitter.

Oh geeze, THOSE things? Those aren't DVI splitters, they're high-density DVI pigtail expanders, necessary for some video cards that the OEMs (like Dell) sometimes use. We have tons of those things at work. You CANNOT use them to split a normal DVI connection.

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Heh ok, that explains a lot :)

As I said, wasn't sure it worked.

9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The answer is yes, saxondale. can run two 1920x1200 24" LCDs from his 15" MBP.

product information

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

That's new apparently. I was talking about the ones you can actually buy now, and my statements were correct.

So first of all, that one you linked to is not even available for purchase yet. Second, there's no clear answer if 2x 24" will work on OS X. It says "system dependent." Then it also lists resolutions in a table that say for Windows only, but more resolutions in a table with no such disclaimer. It also says your display driver has to support that double-wide resolution because -- and this is the really important part -- your system sees anything connected to those Matrox boxes as one monitor. That, and I'm guessing, based on the prices of their other boxes, this thing is going to cost at least $350, probably $400.

So I still think the Matrox boxes are a bad idea, even though they apparently have some coming in DVI form. Rather than buying two 24" monitors (2x ~$650 on a good day = $1300), plus this stupid Matrox thing ($400+), which will total at least $1700, just buy a 30" display. Less hassle, larger screen. I know not quite as many pixels as 2x24", but I still wouldn't mess with these things. Imagine the issues you're going to have when OS X can't tell the two monitors are actually two separate monitors -- dialog boxes popping up across the two displays, you can't have your dock centered, you can't use notification systems that automatically pop up in the middle (like built-in volume, other Bezel notifiers, etc)...it's just going to be really annoying.

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Here you go.

I agree. One 30" is what I'd recommend. But it'd be nice to see someone try the Matrox box and see whether any of the potential problems you describe are actually present.

Scroll down that link and see that the 24" iMac is also supported. Imagine 3x24" 1920x1200 displays. That would be neat.

12. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

$329 Seems Real Reasonable

Wow and only $329. A fantastic not too pricy bargain I think. Driving two 1920 x 1200 from a MacBook Pro would be dope. Says you have to close the MacBook Pro to do that though.

13. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

You are obviously not a consumer if you need 2 monitors.

Buy a Mac Pro.

14. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

Are you trying to give legitimate advice, or are you being facetious?

As a digital photographer, I need mobility constantly, and don't like to be tied to a desk. Yet when I'm editing my photos and doing graphic design, the dual monitors is a HUGE bonus. I've run 2 or 3 computers nearly my entire life and having just one that contains everything I need, and not having to transfer large amounts of data just to work, is priceless.

This is just my situation, but there are countless other scenarios that justify people using their MBP solely. Sorry to rant, but making suggestions without knowing the person's workflow demands is completely asinine.