MBP 15" - now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CoffeeMonkey, Jun 5, 2006.

1. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

I haven't been paying too close attention to the MBP line, but now that I'm going to have to replace my Powerbook this summer, I'm thinking about getting a MBP 15". It looks like there has already been a revision or two, and I'm still seeing scattered complaints about noise/heat.

Any guesses as to whether a new revision is coming down soon?

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Need it now - get it now. If you can wait, wait.

3. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

4. budugu macrumors 6502

i suggest wait. or buy a mac book with the free nano ( you could sell it and get a discount of some sort).

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd wait.

I just received a MBP from Amazon last Tuesday and it was just as hot as the ones I had a month-and-a-half ago.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

You might as well wait now. Otherwise you will have buyer's remorse if they update them in 2 months.

7. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

What are the odds of seeing Core 2 MBP at WWDC? What would be theoretical shipping times for these thru the online store if ordered the day of WWDC? Would we be talking weeks?

8. plutnicki macrumors regular

The problem is

No one can be 100% sure of when the next speed bump, rev, complete design change, will come. Could be a speed bump tomorrow, could be August, could be October. If you wait until August and nothing comes, will you then wait another "just 2 months"?

If you need a computer now, buy one and don't look back. There is always another "something" on the horizon.

I just got a MacBook, and a good friend just got a 15" Pro. Both are well built, quiet and run phenominally.

And guess what, when the new revisions come out, there will be boatloads of "issues" found with those new ones, too.

9. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

JUst Wondering, it seems as if all that's going to be updated is the CPU making it faster etc. is this true? nothing (or most likely nothing) but a CPU update?

10. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Thats not entirely accurate. :cool:

11. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

What exactly do you plan on using the computer for? Are you a professional? Do you like to edit video? Or do you text friends...?

I use my computer for Microsoft Word, Safari, iTunes, Mail, and iWeb. And I bought a MacBook Pro. I guess I went a bit overboard.

Oh well - it is really shiny...:D

12. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

That's exactly what i am going in for it for. I know it's overkill, but can't resist the SHINY!:D