MBP 15's speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deputy_doofy, Nov 1, 2006.

1. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I'm new to the 15" size MBP/PB model, so perhaps someone can answer this for me.

It seems to me that the left speaker is slightly more "tinny" sounding than the right speaker (which sounds stronger - more bass perhaps?). Is this normal or should the 2 speakers sound exactly the same when using the sound system preference to shift the sound to one speaker only? And yes, I have tested this out on multiple songs by multiple groups.

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I've noticed that too, on older MBPs and PowerBooks.

It may be that these models have a third speaker, for improved bass, on the side that sounds less tinny. I know for sure that the 12" PowerBook had this, but it was more in the middle of the logic board.

If not, and assuming the speakers aren't defective, it may be the differing acoustics on each side of the laptop that makes a difference.

3. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

It's not a big deal to me, as long as it's normal. Just want to be sure I didn't get a bum speaker. I tested Garageband loops as well as other sounds and the left speaker is just "weaker" than the right side. Ultimately, I guess I should test external speakers and see how they sound.

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

As long as the speaker isn't distorting, I think it's normal. Some people on Macintouch reported obviously blown speakers or bad distortion, but I've personally not heard that.

5. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Distorted Speakers I'm one of 'em.

6. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Well, I'm definitely going to call Apple today or tomorrow for some further information. Is there anyone else out here that just got the new Core2 Macbook Pro (15" model)? If so, can you check both your speakers to see if they are similar to mine?

7. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

So, tinny speakers and whining powers plugs -- apparently the old problems haven't quite vanished.

8. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Well, I haven't noticed any whining power plugs, but yes, the tinny speaker is apparently still a problem.

9. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Maybe someone should start a poll, to see how many new C2D owners have been expriencing any of the old issues.

10. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Could it possibly be that the right speaker has a subwoofer in it. The bass doesnt need to be in stereo. I dont notice it unless i put my ear right against the speaker.

11. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I'm ok with that possibility as long as that's the way it's supposed to be. I just need to know. $2500 makes me NEED to know. :)

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, I know the aluminum 15" PBs had a third speaker under the option key to help the mid range...

13. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I know I'm not the only person who has recently received a Core2 MacBook Pro. I'd appreciate anyone who has received a 15 (not the 17) to please test their speakers for me and let me know if your speakers resemble mine in sound quality. I'd greatly appreciate that!

14. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Well, here we are - 11/13/2006 - and Apple STILL has my MBP as they are "waiting for a part." I've been calling them almost every day, and today the rep said she didn't understand why certain escalation requests were changed. I finally asked her for a manager (not that I was angry with her, but the situation). I explained very kindly to the manager that I was just getting frustrated for having spent $2500 on a computer that has done nothing but sit in the repair "shop" longer than I've actually gotten to use it.
    I immediately asked her why they couldn't just replace it rather than wait for the mystery part from "Apple."
    She then gave me 2 options.
    1) Continue waiting for the part and she'll throw in some extra memory.
    2) Replace computer altogether.

I probed option 1, and it seems they will send me a 2gb memory stick FREE if I choose to wait out the repair (and she CLAIMS that the repair and the replacement would both still take about 4-5 business days).

Well, I may be annoyed and frustrated, but certainly not dumb. I'll definitely take a 1gb upgrade for my troubles. 3gb. That's wasssup. Here's hoping they don't F that up somehow...

15. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Hi again. Finally, a new MBP is being sent to me. Here's hoping it has no problems and that they didn't F up the specs. I can't tell you how many things have gone awry - to the point where I emailed a complaint letter directly to Steve Jobs email (and yes, I received a phone call from Apple Corporate). Amazing how frustrating this all is. I feel bad now for any person who has ever had problems with Apple's machines and did not get the assistance they deserved.
    I know - I'm venting. They didn't send me any extra memory, but they did send me a pretty nice laptop case, which is fine with me. All I really want is a working machine, with no flaws.

16. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

After all that they didn't send you the memory? I think you are taking this very well. I would be pi--ed. 2 Gigs of memory is a $350 value.

17. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Yeah, I thought about that, but really, I ordered a machine with 2gb and got that. An extra 1gb would be nice (yes, I guess it would have to be a 2gb chip), but I didn't expect that.
    I will be happy if my MBP is as reliable as my PB 12" has been.

18. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I guess the part that would make me mad is that they offered that to you as compensation for it taking so long to make a simple repair and they couldn't even come through on their promise.

19. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I think the supervisor on the phone had no idea just what she was offering (or how much that piece of memory was). She probably is only allowed to offer something up to $50 and she went way over the limit. I've worked in customer service long enough to know that some things just can't happen, even though an idiot rep made the promise.

Here's the consolation prize...
    Brenthaven Edge II for 15.4-inch MacBook Pro (Black)

“Sleek” certainly doesn’t mean “weak” when it comes to the Brenthaven Edge II. It’s the perfect solution for mobile professionals who want heavy protection in a slim, ultra-light case.
    Price: $49.95

20. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

So.... Is this good?

Nov 21, 2006 12:25 PM

Int'l shipment release

ANCHORAGE