MBP 17 as desktop replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bob5820, Aug 27, 2006.

1. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I'm seriously considering replacing my WinXP desktop with a MBP 17" but have a few questions. I plan on using an external monitor when on the desktop (possibly a 30" ACD) but am undecided as to use the MPB keyboard or an external keyboard. I'm just wondering what others are doing. If external is the way to go - wired or BT. Any other considerations when using a MBP as a desktop replacement?

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The MBP keyboard is excellent but I use a BT keyboard so that I can keep the lid closed and have more desk space.

I am selling my G5 Desktop and doing everything with my 15 inch MBP. The only drawback I see is that I am limited to 120 GBs for the internal drive. I have 250 GBs for applications and 250 GBs for data on separate drives and internally on my Powermac G5. I found workarounds for storing my Garageband libaries separately, using Parallels for Windows instead of Bootcamp, and moving iTunes and iPhoto libaries to external drives. iMovie is still a problem because I can't find a Firewire drive that can keep up with capturing video. I have to move to eSATA drives for iMovie. I don't know if FW800 will work but I don't have FW800 on the 15 inch MBP. For now, I am limit my iMovies to about an hour of video per project. I use EyeTV and those videos are small and I archive them if I want to keep the shows.

I use the Apple 30 inch display and keep my MBP screen closed and use a Apple Bluetooth keyboard and the new Mighty Mouse that I really like. Gaming has been excellent and I use the old USB Apple Soundsticks for my audio.

I envy your MBP 17 because of the extra FW800 port and extra USB port. You can never have enough USB ports. I could expand my desktop to include the 15 inch display in addition to my 30 inch display but I feel the 30 inch display is easier to work with by itself.

I wish I could have more than 2 GBs of memory on my MBP. On my Powermac, I could easily have 8 operating systems or more running at the same time with Virtual PC. For example, run SQL Server in one instance of XP and Oracle in another instance with Linux. I had the disk, memory, and screen space to do everything I ever wanted on my Powermac. (Just wish I could run Windows natively). I had a really good system for Motion and Final Cut Pro if I had those products.

3. bob5820 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Thanks for the reply. I will most likely go for the Apple BT keyboard, but I'm still questioning the mighty mouse. I only played around with one for a few minutes but it just didn't feel right. I guess I'm just used to the bigger sculptured mice from logitech. I can see how storage may be a consideration, but I'll likely be turning my Windows desktop into a Linux based NAS. Any problems with using the 30" ACD and the MBP?

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Two minor problems. When I hooked up the 30 inch display while my MBP was open, I noticed it defaulted to "thousands of colors" instead of "millions of colors". It just takes a second to fix it by increasing the colors in Sys Prefs.

The second minor problem was getting use to moving the mouse between a 30 inch display and my laptop when the laptop is sitting in front of the 30 inch display. i would lose the mouse pointer or it would bump up against the side of the screen because of the resolutions were different.

Both problems are non issues when the 30 inch display is your primary display. I also wish I had a docking station so I can quickly disconnect it.

5. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I use this set-up, and I strongly recommend it.

Lid closed mode pumps the most bits to external display, so it is the best way to go.

I recommend the wireless Apple keyboard.

As for the Mighty Mouse, it's what I use and I love it. But in my experience, the Mighty Mouse is controversal: either you love it or you don't.

I think you should try it out at the Apple store for awhile and decide for yourself. Either way, get yourself a wireless mouse.

A big external display, MBP, wireless keyboard and mouse really are the best of all worlds. I cannot recommend it enough in terms of productivity and flexibility. (And the 30" display rocks beyond words.)

6. tradosaurus macrumors newbie

The laptop dock is my favorite with a 30" monitor. :)

7. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I use a MBP 17, 2.6ghz, 4gig ram, 200 gig 7200 RPM drive, high res, with an external 30" HP LP3065 -- I use a wireless keyboard and mouse and use the onboard monitor as well as the 30"

The MBP is on a stand.

This setup works excellent and matches the overall functionality of my Quad G5.

Highly Recommended.

8. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

I use a 15" MBP as my primary (and only, if you don't count my disused old Fujitsu notebook) computer. I have an external Dell monitor (which could do with being bigger, but I got it a couple years ago and a bigger one now wouldn't really fit on on my desk anyway) and I use the MBP with the screen open. That way I can do things like post here while watching DVDs on the external.

I have them set up so that the external is above the MBP screen and they're aligned along the right hand side.

It's also handy for editing several documents at once - you can compare them side by side more easily than switching between them.